Maine 1985 ballot measures
- Two of the measures were legislatively-referred constitutional amendments.
- One of the measures was an indirect initiated state statute.
- Six of the measures were legislatively-referred bond questions.
- Seven of the measures were approved and two were defeated.
The indirect initiated state statute was a choice between three options regarding nuclear waste disposal: an initiated bill (A), a legislative bill (B) or no to both bills (C). This measure would have appeared approved if either A or B received the most votes, and disapproved if C had received the most. The initiated bill, A, received the most votes and was approved.
On the ballot
|IndISS||Issue 1A: Initiated Bill||Nuclear||Requires citizen vote on any plan for the storage or disposal of low-level radioactive waste|
|Issue 1B: Legislative Bill||Nuclear||Requires vote on any site for disposal of low-level radioactive waste if not disposed of outside of Maine or at the Yankee site|
|Issue 1C: Against Bills||Nuclear||Denies both legislative and initiated bills|
|BI||Bond Issue 2||Utilities||Issues $15 million for construction of sewage and water facilities and for the cleanup and restoration of oil contaminated water|
|BI||Bond Issue 3||Development||Issues $4.3 million in bonds to build and equip centers for advanced technology|
|BI||Bond Issue 4||Transportation||Issues $20 million in bonds for improvements to highways, bridges and airports|
|BI||Bond Issue 5||Transportation||Issues $850,000 in bonds for the acquisition of rail lines|
|BI||Bond Issue 6||Culture||Issues $2 million in bonds for the restoration and preservation of historic buildings|
|BI||Bond Issue 7||Education||Issues $2.2 million in bonds for the purchase of equipment and land for vocational-technical institutes|
|Constitutional Amendment 8||Legislatures||Allows legislators to be appointed to civil office as long as they resign from the legislature|
|Constitutional Amendment 9||Term Limits||Extendes the tenure for sheriffs from 2 years to 4 years|
- Bangor Daily News, "State of Maine Special Election November 5, 1985: Important Notice to All Voters of the State of Maine," October 29, 1985
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Votes on Initiated Bills 1980-
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Votes on Maine Bond Issues, 1951-
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Proposed Constitutional Amendments 1820-