Maine 1987 ballot measures
November 3, 1987 ballot in Maine.Thirteen statewide ballot measures appeared on the
- One of the measures was an indirect initiated state statute.
- Ten of the measures were legislatively-referred bond questions.
- Two of the measures were legislatively-referred constitutional amendments.
- Nine of the measures were approved and four were defeated.
On the ballot
|IndISS||Question 1||Nuclear||Allows the continuation of high-waste nuclear plants in the state|
|BI||Question 2||Environment||Issues $8 million in bonds to clean up and close solid waste landfills|
|BI||Question 3||Utilities||Issues $8.3 million in bonds for the construction of sewage treatment facilities|
|BI||Question 4||Development||Issues $6 million in bonds to and creates Maine Job Development Fund|
|BI||Question 5||Education||Issues $3.1 million in bonds for pier reconstruction at the Maine Maritime Academy|
|BI||Question 6||Environment||Issues $3 million in bonds for the removal of oil storage tanks and the related ground water restoration|
|BI||Question 7||Bonds||Issues $8 million in bonds for capital repairs, improvements to state facilities and asbestos from state facilities|
|BI||Question 8||Education||Issues $5 million in bonds for the acquisition of buses for public schools|
|BI||Question 9||Transportation||Issues $26.5 million in bonds for highway, bridge and airport improvements and to reduce ground water pollution|
|BI||Question 10||Forests & Parks||Issues $35 million in bonds over four years for the purchase of public land access|
|BI||Question 11||Bonds||Issues $6 million in bonds for the detection and removal of asbestos hazards in state facilities and public schools|
|Question 12||Firearms||Clarifies the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms|
|Question 13||Legislatures||Requires candidates for the state legislature to reside in the district for which they are campaigning|
- Bangor Daily News, "State of Maine Special Election November 3, 1987: Important Notice to All Voters of the State of Maine," October 27, 1987
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Votes on Initiated Bills 1980-
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Votes on Maine Bond Issues, 1951-
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Proposed Constitutional Amendments 1820-