Maine Bear Hunting Ban Initiative, Question 2 (2004)
The question asked of voters was:
"Do you want to make it a crime to hunt bears with bait, traps or dogs, except to protect property, public safety or for research?"
The initiative was supported by a group called Maine Citizens for Fair Bear Hunting. It spent $1,286,375 on its campaign.
Donors to the group included:
The primary opposition to the initiative came from the Maine Fish and Wildlife Conservation Council. They spent $1,743,625.
- List of Maine initiatives
- Maine November 2004 ballot measure guide
- Maine November 2004 ballot measure election results
- Maine Bear Ballot Measure: Questions and Answers, a pro-website sponsored by the Humane Society
- 2004 Question 2 Citizen Initiative - An Act Prohibiting Certain Bear Hunting Practices
- Join Us and Fight the Referendum on Bear Hunting and Trapping