Maine Repeal of Ban Against Sexual Orientation Discrimination, Question 1 (1998)
The Maine Repeal of Ban Against Sexual Orientation Discrimination People's Veto, also known as Question 1, was on the February 10, 1998 ballot in Maine as a veto referendum, where it was approved. The measure repealed legilsation that had banned discrimination based on sexual orientation for jobs, housing, public accommodations and credit.
After this special election vote on a People's Veto, the Maine State Legislature voted to propose a new constitutional amendment to the Maine Constitution in 1999, the Maine Election Timing of People's Veto (1999), which was approved. This new constitutional amendment said that henceforward, Maine People's Vetoes votes could not be held at special elections--as was the case with this 1998 vote--but could only be held at regularly scheduled statewide and general elections.
|Maine Question 1 (1998)|
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
Do you want to reject the law passed by the Legislature and signed by the Governor that would ban discrimination based on sexual orientation with respect to jobs, housing, public accommodations and credit? 
The Maine Citizen's Guide to the Special Election provided the following description of the intent and content of this measure:
This legislation amends the Maine Human Rights Act to make it unlawful to discriminate against individuals based on their sexual orientation in decisions regarding employment, housing, access to public accommodations and the extension of credit. Religious organizations are exempt from this new provision.
This legislation was approved by the Legislature and signed into law by the Governor in May, 1997. Petitioners subsequently collected a sufficient number of signatures of registered voters to refer the legislation to the people for approval or disapproval at a statewide election. Its effect has been suspended pending the outcome of the election. 
—Maine Secretary of State, 
- Maine Limiting Protected Classifications, Question 1 (1995)
- Maine Election Timing of People's Veto, Question 8 (1999)
- Maine 1998 ballot measures
- 1998 ballot measures
- List of Maine ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Maine
- Maine Citizen's Guide to the Special Election, Tuesday, February 10, 1998, from Maine Secretary of State
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Referenda Votes on Acts of the Maine Legislature 1910-
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, "Referenda Votes on Acts of the Maine Legislature 1910-," accessed May 5, 2014
- Maine Secretary of State, Elections Division, "Maine Citizen's Guide to the Special Election, Tuesday, February 10, 1998," accessed May 5, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Maine
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |