Margaret Murray-Scholz Noe
|Margaret Murray-Scholz Noe|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|39th Circuit Court, Michigan|
|Past position:||Judge, Lenawee County Probate Court|
|Undergraduate:||Siena Heights University|
|Law School:||Detroit College of Law|
|Candidate for:||39th Circuit Court|
|Election information 2014:|
Margaret Murray-Scholz Noe is a judge for the 39th Circuit Court in Lenawee County, Michigan. She was elected to the court on November 4, 2008, and assumed office on January 1, 2009, for a six-year term ending on January 1, 2015. On November 4, 2014, Noe was re-elected unopposed for another six-year term commencing on January 1, 2015, and expiring on December 31, 2020.
- See also: Michigan judicial elections, 2014
| Noe ran for re-election to the 39th Circuit Court.
General: She was unopposed in the general election on November 4, 2014.
Noe worked as a private practice attorney and an assistant Lenawee County prosecuting attorney prior to becoming a judge. She was appointed by former Governor Jennifer Granholm to the Lenawee County Probate Court on November 18, 2005. She joined the circuit court bench in 2009. She has also taught as an adjunct professor at Siena Heights University.
Sailor ordered to appear for child custody hearing while deployed
A ruling by Noe requiring a Navy sailor to appear for a child custody hearing despite his deployment in the Pacific Ocean made headlines in June 2014. Matthew Hindes was seeking to keep full custody of his six-year-old daughter, who was being cared for by her stepmother and Hindes' wife, Benita-Lynn Hindes. Matthew Hindes said that he was granted full custody of his daughter four years ago due to the neglect of her mother. The hearing was scheduled for June 23, and Noe initially said that Hindes would be in contempt if he was not present. Since Hindes, who was stationed on the USS Michigan submarine, would not have been able to make it back for the hearing, the judge delayed the hearing.
At first, Noe had explained:
|“||If the child is not in the care and custody of the father, the child should be in the care and custody of the mother.||”|
—Judge Margaret Murray-Scholz Noe
On June 22, 2014, Noe postponed the proceedings, explaining that the court was unaware of Hindes' deployment.
|“||This court would not cause Mr. Hindes or any other person in military service to suffer prejudice as a result of their military duty while away in service to our nation||”|
—Judge Margaret Noe
- Michigan Department of State, "2008 Election Results: 39th Circuit Court," accessed December 15, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," accessed July 9, 2014
- Michigan.gov: Former Governors, "Granholm Appoints Noe Judge of Lenawee County Probate Court," November 18, 2005
- KOMO News.com, "Local sailor ordered to be in court, despite being out to sea," June 17, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Detroit News, "Judge orders break in sailor's child custody case in Michigan," June 23, 2014