|U.S. House, California, District 41|
|January 3, 2013-Present|
|January 3, 2015|
|Years in position||0|
|Predecessor||Jerry Lewis (R)|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Harvard University, University of California (Riverside)|
|Birthday||December 10, 1960|
|Place of birth||Riverside, California|
Below is an abbreviated outline of Takano's academic, professional and political career:
- 1983: Graduated from Harvard University with B.A.
- 1984-1985: Substitute teacher
- 1987: Graduated from University of California (Riverside) with teaching certificate
- 2000: Graduated with M.F.A.
- 1988-Present: Teacher, Rialto Unified School District
- 1990-Present: Board of Trustees, Riverside Community College District
- 2013-Present: United States House of Representatives, California's 41st congressional district
Takano serves on the following committees:
- Science, Space, and Technology Committee
- Subcommittee on Energy
- Subcommittee on Environment
- Veterans' Affairs
- Subcommittee on Economic Opportunity
- Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations
Takano's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Job Creation
- Excerpt: "Despite the national recovery, economic growth in Riverside County has been slow to rebound and unemployment remains high. Mark Takano favors strategic investments in infrastructure -- upgrades including renovating school buildings, improving roads, highways and bridges, and moving forward with high speed rail -- that will create jobs and improve our community."
- Education and Workforce Development
- Excerpt: "For more than 20 years, Mark Takano has worked on the front lines of public education as a teacher at Rialto High School. He recognizes that economic prosperity in the future requires a strong investment in education and workforce training today. Mark supports reforming or ending the Federal mandates of "No Child Left Behind" and a renewed commitment to building an educational system that will prepare Americans to compete in the emerging economy."
- Clean Air
- Excerpt: "With Riverside County residents suffering some of the worst air quality in the nation, it is imperative that their member of Congress take a stand for cleaner air. Mark Takano supports strong clean air standards and broader use of clean energy resources."
- Health Care
- Excerpt: "For generations, Medicare has provided American seniors with access to necessary medical care in a timely and affordable manner. Mark Takano will stand up against Republican efforts to privatize or defund Medicare, and will fight to make health coverage more affordable for working families."
- National Security
- Excerpt: "Securing our nation from foreign threats, including terrorism, must be a priority in Washington. Mark Takano recognizes that as the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan wind down, new strategies will be needed to thwart those who would do us harm. Mark supports reducing the number of nuclear weapons worldwide to keep them out of dangerous hands. "
Takano won the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing California's 41st District. He and John Tavaglione (R) advanced past the June 5, 2012, blanket primary, defeating Anna Nevenic (D), George Pearne (R), and Vince Sawyer (R). They faced off in the November 6, 2012, general election.
|U.S. House, California, District 41 General Election, 2012|
|Source: California Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
Comprehensive donor information for Takano is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Takano raised a total of $1,456,716 during that time period. This information was last updated on March 22, 2013.
|Mark Takano's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||US House (California, District 41)||$1,456,716|
|Grand Total Raised||$1,456,716|
|U.S. House, California District 41, 2012 - Mark Takano Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Runner-up||$1,366,015|
|Total Spent by Election Runner-up||$1,354,947|
|Top contributors to Mark Takano's campaign committee|
|Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund||$29,350|
|University of California||$14,300|
|National Education Assn||$10,950|
|Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers||$10,597|
|Human Rights Campaign||$10,447|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Public Sector Unions||$60,950|
Lifetime voting record
According to the website GovTrack, Takano missed 2 of 89 roll call votes from January 2013 to March 2013. This amounts to 2.2%, which is equal to the median of 2.2% among current congressional representatives as of March 2013.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Takano's net worth as of 2011 was estimated between -$11,997 and $35,000. That averages to $11,501, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic Representatives in 2011 of $5,107,874.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Mark + Takano + California + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- House to vote on variable rate student loans - Barre Montpelier Times Argus
- White House Honors Harvey Milk Champions of Change, Takano Honors Milk in ... - Frontiers LA (blog)
- Ten House Dems endorse Aguilar for House seat - The Hill (blog)
- IMMIGRATION REFORM: Takano urges same-sex partner rights - Press-Enterprise (blog)
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force to be honored for 40 years of activism by ... - San Diego Gay & Lesbian News
- Subcommittee Holds Hearing on Weather Forecasting and Proposed Legislation - Space Ref (press release)
- DCCC Fundraising: $5.4 Million In April - Huffington Post
- US House Issues First-Ever 'Spousal ID' to Partner of Openly Homosexual ... - Christian News Network
- Senator Boxer Praises Energy and Natural Resources Committee Passage of ... - Imperial Valley News
- South Carolina Election Results 2013: Mark Sanford Wins First District Race - Huffington Post
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Campaign website
- U.S. House website
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Summary, biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Congressional profile and news at Roll Call
- Congressional profile at GovTrack.us
- Congressional profile at OpenCongress.org
- Congressional profile at CongressMerge.com
- Voting record maintained by The Washington Post
- Legislation at Congress.gov
- Campaign finance reports and data at the Federal Election Commission
- Financial information at OpenSecrets.org
- Collected news and commentary at The Washington Post
- Profile at Facebook
- Profile at Twitter
- Profile at Wikipedia
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 CNN "California Districts Race - 2012 Election Center"
- ↑ National Journal, "California, 41st House District," November 7, 2012
- ↑ CQ.com - Roll Call, "House Committee Rosters for the 113th Congress," accessed January 18, 2013
- ↑ Campaign website, Issues
- ↑ California Secretary of State, Official candidate list
- ↑ Unofficial election results
- ↑ Open Secrets "Career Fundraising for Mark Takano," Accessed March 22, 2013
- ↑ Open Secrets "Mark Takano 2012 Election Cycle," Accessed February 20, 2013
- ↑ GovTrack, "Mark Takano," Accessed April 2, 2013
- ↑ OpenSecrets.org, "Takano, (D-Cali), 2011"
|U.S. House, California, District 41
January 3, 2013-Present
| Succeeded by|