|South Carolina State Senate, District 42|
|October 7 - Present|
|November 14, 2016|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||October 1, 2013|
Kimpson won election in a special election for South Carolina State Senate District 42. The seat was vacant following Sen. Robert Ford's (D) resignation on May 31, 2013, amidst an ethics investigation. Kimpson advanced to a primary runoff with Maurice Washington, defeating Herbert S. Fielding, Margaret Rush and Bob Thompson in the August 13 Democratic primary. Kimpson defeated Washington in the runoff on August 27. Kimpson defeated Billy Shuman (R), Alex Thornton (L) in the special election, which took place on October 1.
|South Carolina State Senate, District 42 Runoff Democratic Primary, 2013|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
The South Carolina State Legislature was in its 120th legislative session from January 8, 2013, to June 6, 2014. In 2014, a statewide session was held from June 17 to June 19 "for the consideration of certain specified matters."
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce - 2013 Legislative Scorecard & Year in Review
- Legislators are scored on business issues, including: infrastructure funding, the Department of Employment and Workforce Integrity bill, expanding 4-year-old kindergarten and funding for the Manufacturing Skills Standard Council.
- Greenville Tea Party - Greenville Tea Party Scorecard 2013
- The scorecards are not comprehensive, but concentrate on issues related to jobs, spending, and freedom.
- Legislators are scored on efforts to promote economic freedom, lower taxes, create an efficient and accountable state government, reduce spending, protect small businesses and reform the state's pension system.
- Conservation Voters of South Carolina - 2013-2014 scorecard
- Legislators are scored on environment and conservation of land efforts.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Marlon + Kimpson + South Carolina + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- South Carolina State Legislature
- South Carolina State Senate
- South Carolina State Senate Committees
- South Carolina Joint Committees
- South Carolina state legislative districts
- Sen. Kimpson's website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- scnow.com, "Special election set for former Sen. Ford's seat," June 5, 2013
- live5news.com, "Marlon Kimpson wins District 42 Senate runoff," August 27, 2013
- scvotes.org, "Official Democratic primary results," accessed November 19, 2013
- scvotes.org, "Official Democratic primary runoff results," accessed November 19, 2013
- scvotes.org, "Official election results," accessed November 19, 2013
- South Carolina State Legislature Online, "H*5282 Concurrent Resolution," accessed June 26, 2014
Robert Ford (D)
|South Carolina State Senate - District 42
| Succeeded by|