For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, Washington, District 4|
Baechler is a former midwife and founder of a stroller company.
According to her website, Baechler's campaign platform included the following issues:
- Protect Social Security and Medicare
- Help the economy through fair taxation
- Full health care and equal pay for women
Baechler ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent Washington's 4th District. She and Doc Hastings advanced past the blanket primary and faced off in the general election on November 6, 2012. Hastings won.
As of late July, Hastings had a huge lead in fundraising. Physician Said and tea party activist Wheeler had under $5,000 each, with professional community organizer Baechler just exceeding that in the last reporting period.
On the issues, Hastings had a record of supporting budget cuts and opposing the Affordable Care Act. Wheeler wanted to defund several major federal agencies. Palestinian-born Said focused on foreign policy issues, wanting a nuclear-free Middle East. Baechler sought to defend Social Security and Medicare programs.
The district Democratic Party backed Baechler.
|U.S. House, Washington District 4 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Doc Hastings Incumbent||66.2%||154,749|
|Source: Washington Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, Washington District 4 Open Primary, 2012|
|Doc Hastings (R) Incumbent||59.3%||60,774|
|Mary Baechler (D)||26.5%||27,130|
|Jaime Wheeler (R)||11.3%||11,581|
|Mohammad H. Said (D)||2.9%||2,958|
|U.S. House, Washington, District 4, 2012 - Mary Baechler Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||$1,649,564|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||$1,453,308|
|Top contributors to Mary Baechler's campaign committee|
|Democratic Party of Washington||$9,000|
|Cmte for Maruy Baechler For Congress||$1,317|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Building Trade Unions||$5,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Mary + Baechler + Washington + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- CNN "Washington Districts Race - 2012 Election Center"
- Mary Baechler campaign website, "About Mary," accessed August 3, 2012
- Mary Baechler campaign website, "Home page," accessed August 3, 2012
- AP Primary Results
- The (Lower Columbia) News-Tribune, "Trio of challengers seeks to unseat Doc Hastings," July 22, 2012
- Open Secrets, "Mary baechler 2012 Election Cycle," accessed April 10, 2013