was a Republican
candidate for District 18
of the North Carolina House of Representatives
. The primary election
was on May 4, 2010, and the general election was on November 2
Dawson's website highlighted the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Beth Dawson understands that the best economic incentive is to lower taxes and reduce burdensome government regulations that weigh our small businesses and entrepreneurs down."
- Excerpt: "Beth understands that a high-quality education is delivered by teachers in classrooms, not in administrative offices. As your State Representative, Beth Dawson will fight to cut the administrative bureaucracy and put our education resources where they belong: in the classroom."
- Excerpt: "Beth Dawson believes that healthcare decisions should be made between you and your doctor. Beth also believes that the federal mandate in the recent healthcare reform law requiring all citizens to buy health insurance is unconstitutional."
- Excerpt: "Beth supports a Taxpayer Protection Act to limit the growth of state government spending. Beth also supports Zero-Based Budgeting, which requires that the existence of every government program be justified in each budget, as opposed to simply basing budgeting decisions on a previous funding level."
- Excerpt: "As your State Representative, Beth Dawson will work to reduce taxes on our hard-working families and small business owners."
- Excerpt: "As your State Representative, Beth Dawson will fight to reform our state’s antiquated annexation laws by pushing to give those being annexed a voice in the process."
- Excerpt: "As your State Representative, Beth Dawson will work to pass eminent domain reform that offers meaningful protection to our citizens’ private property rights."
- See also: North Carolina House of Representatives elections, 2010
Dawson was defeated in the November 2, 2010, general election. Her opponent in the November 2 general election was Susan Hamilton (D). Dawson defeated Joseph Hutson in the May 4 Republican primary by a margin of 1,360-1,192.
| North Carolina House of Representatives May 4 Primary, District 18, 2010
| Mary Dawson (R)
| Joseph Hutson (R)