Mary Ruth Edwards
|Washington House of Representatives, District 16a|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Associate's||Everett Community College|
|Bachelor's||Central Washington University|
|Other||Western Washington University|
|Service/branch||United States Marine Corps.|
After earning her A.A.S. from Everett Community College, Edwards went on to earn her B.S. in business from Central Washington University in 1992. She later earned her teaching certificate from Western Washington University in 2005 and her Master's in elementary education from Whitworth University in 2009.
Edwards worked in administrative support and customer service from 1980 through 2005. From 1986 through 1988, she served in the United States Marine Corps as a ground radio repairman. Since 2006, she has worked as an elementary school teacher.
Edwards listed the following themes on her campaign website:
- Gun control
- Excerpt: "Gun control is NOT in the Second Amendment. If we lose our right to bear arms, we lose everything. The people of the 16th district understand this. They also don't want their gun rights impaired and, as evidenced in the 2013 legislative session, loudly voiced their opinion regarding universal background checks - they don't want them!"
- Excerpt: "I believe in the right to life for all people, from conception to natural death."
Edwards's website highlights the following campaign themes:
Defending Our Families
- Excerpt:"Homosexuals and Lesbians have a right to live as they choose; they don’t have the right to redefine marriage for all of us. In Olympia, I will work to repeal the same-sex marriage law recently passed, if not repealed via referendum at the ballot box."
- Excerpt:"Decisions as to how our children are to be educated should be made by parents and Washington State - not the federal government! I believe parents should have a choice on how their children are educated and when. Charter schools, online schools, home school, public school - there are many ways to educate our children."
Restoring Our State
- Excerpt:"The closer civil government is to the people, the more responsible, responsive, and accountable it is likely to be. I will work with other conservatives in the legislature to restore our state sovereignty, and preserve individual property rights."
Cost of Big Government
- Excerpt:" I pledge to the constituents of the 16th District that I will not procrastinate or avoid working on critical issues such as the budget. We elect representatives to take their jobs seriously, not deal with superficial issues above critical ones."
- Excerpt:"When I am representing you in Olympia, I will support and vote for this bill to opt out of Obamacare."
Elections for all 49 districts (98 seats) in the Washington House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A blanket primary election took place on August 5, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was May 17, 2014. Incumbent Maureen Walsh (R) and Mary Ruth Edwards (R) were unopposed in the primary. Walsh and Edwards will face off in the general election.
Edwards ran in the 2012 election for Washington House of Representatives, District 16a. Edwards ran unopposed in the August 7 blanket primary election and was defeated by incumbent Maureen Walsh (R) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Washington House of Representatives, District 16a, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Maureen Walsh Incumbent||58.2%||25,503|
|Republican||Mary Ruth Edwards||41.8%||18,307|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Mary + Edwards + Washington + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Profile by Vote-USA
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Official campaign website
- Washington Secretary of State, "2014 Candidates Who Have Filed," accessed May 20, 2014
- Information submitted through Ballotpedia's biographical submission form on May 26, 2014
- Vote Mary Ruth, "Issues," accessed May 26, 2014
- "votemaryruth," Official Campaign Website
- Washington Secretary of State, "August 5, 2014 Primary Results," accessed August 5, 2014
- C-SPAN, "AP Election Results - Washington State House of Representatives," accessed August 7, 2012
- Washington Secretary of State - 2012 Primary Candidates
State of Washington
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Public Lands | Director of Labor and Industries | Chairman of Utilities and Transportation |