Mary Sue McClurkin
|Mary Sue McClurkin|
|Alabama House of Representatives District 43|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||16|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||Huntingdon College, 1969|
|Master's||Auburn University, 1971|
|Birthday||February 14, 1947|
|Place of birth||Abbeville, AL|
McClurkin currently owns McClurkin Enterprises, and previously owned Alabama Butane Company, Inc., from 1985 to 2001. She worked as an account executive with Riverchase Business Brokers from 1983 to 1985 and as the executive director of the Pelham Chamber of Commerce from 1981 to 1983.
McClurkin served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Education Policy Committee, Alabama House of Representatives, Chair
- Jefferson County Legislation Committee, Alabama House of Representatives
- Shelby County Legislation Committee, Alabama House of Representatives
- Ways and Means Education Committee, Alabama House of Representatives, Vice Chair
- Subcommittee on Higher Ed Appropriations, Chair
|Alabama House of Representatives, District 43 General Election (2010)|
|Mary Sue McClurkin (R)||16,368|
|Virginia Sweet (D)||4,041|
|Alabama House of Representatives, District 43 Republican Primary (2010)|
|Mary Sue McClurkin (R)||5,526|
|Brittany Tate (R)||1,729|
McClurkin raised $103,455 for her campaign.
In 2010, McClurkin raised $116,448 in contributions.
Her five largest contributors were:
|Alabama Farmers Federation||$10,334|
|Republicans For The Future||$4,000|
|Medical Association Of The State Of Alabama||$3,500|
In 2006, McClurkin collected $103,455 in donations.
Below are McClurkin's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2006 election:
|AL Farmers Federation||$10,323|
|Business Council of Alabama||$7,500|
|Medical Assoc of the State of Alabama||$3,000|
|AL Forestry Assoc||$2,000|
In 2010, McClurkin's endorsements included the following:
- The Alabama Tea Party Express
McClurkin and her husband, Van, have three children.
She is a member of the Briarwood Presbyterian Church, Columbia Rotary Club, Young Men's Christian Association Board of Directors, Galleria Woods Nursing Home, Complete Care Board, Business Council of Alabama trustee, Pediatric Rehabilitation Board trustee, Baptist Health System of Alabama trustee, and President of the Alabama Propane Gas Association.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Note: As of November 2014, we were unable to locate any scorecards for the state of Alabama. If you are aware of a scorecard Ballotpedia has not included please email it to email@example.com.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Mary + Sue + McClurkin + Alabama + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Alabama House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Mary Sue McClurkin Homepage
- Alabama Legislature - Mary Sue McClurkin
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative and voting track record
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2002, 1998
- Alabama House Republican Caucus
- Mary Sue McClurkin on Facebook
- ALEC.org, "State Chairmen," accessed May 5, 2014
- Alabama2010.com, "Alabama GOP primary results," accessed May 5, 2014 (dead link)
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed July 18, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2006 election results," accessed April 15, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Alabama House spending, 2006," November 4, 2006
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money - 2006 Campaign contributions
- The Alabama Tea Party Express, "Endorsements," November 2, 2010
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. McClurkin
|Alabama House District 43
| Succeeded by|
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|