Maryland Public Service Commission
|Maryland Public Service Commission|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2014 FY Budget:||$16,976,952|
|Length of term:||5 years|
|Authority:||Maryland Annotated Code, § 2-101|
|Leadership:||W. Kevin Hughes|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governor|
|Other Maryland Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Comptroller • Treasurer • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Secretary • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Secretary of Labor • Public Service Commission|
He serves alongside commissioners Harold D. Williams, Lawrence Brenner, and Kelly Speakes-Backman and Anne Hoskins, who was appointed to fill the vacancy created by Hughes' promotion to the chairmanship in August 2013.
The Maryland Public Service Commission was established as an independent unit in the Executive Branch of state government in Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1910. It is currently in § 2-101 of the Maryland Annotated Code.
The following qualifications are required in order to serve on the MPSC:
- Be a registered voter of the state
- Devote full time to the duties of the office
Additionally, per state law the commission must be broadly representative in geographic and demographic diversity and composed of individuals with diverse training and experience.
In the event of a vacancy, a commissioner is appointed to serve the rest of the term and until a successor qualifies. The governor can remove a Commissioner for incompetence or misconduct.
The mission statement of the Maryland Public Service Commission is to ensure safe, reliable, and economic public utility and transportation service to the citizens of Maryland.
The following is a list of specific duties:
- Ensure that rates, terms, and conditions established for public service companies are just, reasonable, and transparent.
- Adopt and enforce regulations that are in the public interest and ensure that public service companies comply with established regulations.
- Create standards and policies that protect the safety of the public.
- Explore innovation that will encourage the efficient delivery of public utility services.
- Consider the economic and environmental impacts of all matters before the Commission.
- Encourage the conservation of natural resources and environmental preservation.
- Ensure effective methods of communicating the Commission’s areas of regulation and jurisdiction, decisions, and their impact on the public.
- Develop and promote activities that encourage public trust and confidence.
- Serve the public interest through a commitment to professionalism, diversity, mutual respect, and ethical conduct.
The MSPS is composed of the following divisions:
- Office of External Relations
- Public Utility Law Judge Division
- Office of Executive Director
- Accounting Investigations Division
- Electricity Division
- Energy Analysis and Planning Division
- Engineering Division
- Staff Attorney Division
- Telecommunications, Gas and Water Division
- Transportation [Common Carrier Investigations] Division
- Office of Executive Secretary
The Public Service Commission's budget for fiscal year 2014 was $16,976,952.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
In 2013, the commissioners' salary remained at $150,000.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Maryland Public Service Commission has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Maryland + Public + Service + Commission
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
William Donald Schaefer Tower
6 St. Paul St., 16th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202
Phone: (410) 767-8000
MD Toll Free: 1-800-492-0474
- Maryland State Archives, "Public Service Commission - Origin and Functions," accessed September 24, 2011
- Maryland State Archives, " Public Service Commission," accessed June 10, 2013
- Maryland Public Service Commission, "Commissioners - Anne E. Hoskins," accessed October 21, 2013
- WBAL, "PSC Chairman Gets Judicial Post," December 28, 2012
- LexisNexis, "Md. PUBLIC UTILITIES Code Ann. § 2-101 (2012)," accessed February 7, 2013
- LexisNexis, "Md. PUBLIC UTILITIES Code Ann. § 2-102 (2012)," accessed February 7, 2013
- Maryland Public Service Commission, About Us
- http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/Chapters_noln/CH_423_hb0100e.pdf 2013 Laws of Maryland, "Chapter 423, Budget Bill (Fiscal Year 2014)," 9-10, accessed June 27, 2013]
- Council of State Governments, Table 4.11 Selected State Administrative Officials: Annual Salaries, accessed January 24, 2014
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed June 25, 2011