Maryland elections, 2013
Maryland election information for 2013 is listed below.
|On the 2013 ballot|
Exceptions include special elections.
Find current election news and links here.
Voting in Maryland
- See also: Voting in Maryland
Important voting information
- Maryland uses a closed primary system, meaning voters must register with a party to be able to vote in their primary election.
- Registration must be completed by the 21st day prior to an election.
- The 2013 Maryland State Legislature passed a bill that authorizes same day registration during the early voting period. It also expands the early voting period from 6 days to 8 days. The law will become effective on July 1, 2013
- As of January 2015, Maryland is one of the 20 states that have implemented full online voter registration. Residents can register online at this website.
- See also: Absentee voting by state
For information about eligibility, deadlines, military and overseas voting and updates to the voting laws in Maryland, please visit our absentee voting by state page.
- See also: Early voting
Maryland is one of 33 states (plus the District of Columbia) that permits some form of early voting. Early voting begins on the second Thursday prior to Election Day and ends on the Thursday before the election.
Elections Performance Index
Maryland ranked 19th out of the 50 states and District of Columbia in the Pew Charitable Trusts' Elections Performance Index (EPI), based on the 2012 elections. The EPI examines election administration performance and assigns an average percentage score based on 17 indicators of election performance. These indicators were chosen in order to determine both the convenience and integrity of these three phases of an election: registration, voting and counting. Maryland received an overall score of 67 percent.
State of Maryland
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor, Licensing and Regulation | Chairman of Public Service Commission |