Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, South Dakota, at-large District|
|High school||Yankton High School|
|Master's||University of Glasgow and University of Cambridge|
|Place of birth||Yankton, South Dakota|
|Profession||Businessman, Economic Development Director for U.S. Senator Tim Johnson|
According to Varilek's website, his campaign themes included:
- Health care: "Congress should look forward, not backward...Congress should work on further improvements to our health care system."
- Economy: "We need to encourage the entrepreneurial spirit and make sure that our government is a partner to business."
- Education: "...will work to protect programs like Impact Aid that are so important to rural schools, and fight to ensure that unreasonable burdens aren’t placed on rural schools with fewer resources than large schools."
Varilek was defeated by incumbent Kristi Noem. Varilek ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent South Dakota's at-large District. He defeated Jeff Barth in the June 5, 2012 Democratic primary. Incumbent Kristi Noem (R) ran unopposed in the Republican primary.
In 2012, Noem was re-elected to the U.S. Congress, representing South Dakota's At-Large Congressional District.
|U.S. House, South Dakota At-Large District General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Matt Varilek Incumbent||42.6%||153,789|
|Source: South Dakota Secretary of State, "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, South Dakota at-large district, 2012 - Matt Varilek Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||$2,811,274|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||$2,688,180|
|Top contributors to Matt Varilek's campaign committee|
|South Dakota First PAC||$10,000|
|Operating Engineers Union||$7,500|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Crop Production & Basic Processing||$41,750|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Matt + Varilek + South Dakota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
Varilek and his wife, Maggie, have two daughters, Willa and Mae.
- South Dakota Secretary of State Elections Division, "Election Results" accessed June 5, 2012
- dccc.org, "Red to Blue" accessed June 3,2012
- Matt for Congress, "Issues," accessed September 6, 2012
- Politico, "2012 Election Map, South Dakota"
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Primary List," accessed March 30, 2012
- South Dakota Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"
- ArgusLeader.com, "Argus Leader endorsement: Varilek can compete statewide" accessed June 3, 2012
- nola.com, "SD Dems running for US House seat make final push" accessed June 5, 2012
- Open Secrets, "Matt Varilek 2012 Election Cycle," accessed May 4th, 2013