Matthew D. Carling
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Utah House of Representatives District 72|
|Bachelor's||Brigham Young University|
Carling's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "The Great Recession started in 2008. When compared to the Nation, Utah has produced amazing statistics regarding recovery. However, if you are unemployed or underemployed, the economy still stinks! Business is still restrained by regulations and burdensome taxes. I intend to sponsor legislation to repeal the Business Personal Property tax."
- Tax Burden
- Excerpt: "Utah’s tax burden is the 17th highest in the Nation . . . and the highest of all Republican states! Rural counties’ tax burden is disproportionate to more than the tax dollars we receive back."
- Higher Education
- Excerpt: "Southern Utah University is Utah’s designated public liberal arts and sciences university. SUU is an integral part of our community. Good, quality education will keep Utah economically competitive over the long-term. We need a representative on the Higher Education Appropriations Subcommittee to ensure that SUU is well funded. That’s what I plan on doing."
- Prairie Dogs
- Excerpt: "We’ve all had our jokes about the prairie dog situation here. However, we need real solutions for the problem. We are close to implementing a plan to remove the prairie dogs to a designated habitat. However, we still need to distinguish our prairie dog colony from the other colonies."
- Economic Development
- Excerpt: "It's tragic that our children grow up here but are forced to move away from home when seekign employment. Historically, the Governor’s Office of Economic Development has focused on the counties with the lowest unemployment percentages and the highest number of politicians. I will put pressure on the Office of Economic Development to more evenly distribute action plans and corporate incentives throughout the state."
Carling ran in the 2012 election for Utah House of Representatives District 72. He and John Westwood defeated Ryan Bundy, Marlo Jensen, and Albert Montoya in the Republican convention. Westwood subsequently defeated Carling in the Republican primary on June 26, 2012. The general election took place on November 6, 2012.
|Utah House of Representatives District 72 Republican Primary, 2012|
|John R. Westwood||67%||2,679|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Matthew + Carling + Utah + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.