|Lieutenant Governor of Delaware|
|January 20, 2009 - Present|
|Years in position||4|
|Predecessor||John C. Carney Jr. (D)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
|Term limits||2 terms|
|Delaware Insurance Commissioner|
|2005 - 2009|
|Bachelor's||University of California-Berkeley|
|J.D.||Yale University Law School|
|Birthday||February 9, 1966|
|Place of birth||Wilmington, Delaware|
Matthew Denn is the current Democratic Lieutenant Governor of Delaware. He was first elected in 2008 with Governor Jack Markell, and previously served as the Delaware Insurance Commissioner from 2005-2009. In his role at Lieutenant Governor, he also serves as President of the Delaware State Senate.
Denn was born February 9, 1966 in Wilmington, Delaware and grew up in suburban Hockessin in New Castle County. He moved to California during high school. A graduate with honors and student body president at the University of California, Berkeley, he received his law degree from Yale Law School in 1991.
Denn worked for two years with Delaware Volunteer Legal Services before entering private practice and becoming a partner with the law firm Young, Conaway, Stargatt & Taylor. In 1998, he was appointed chairman of Delaware's new Child Protection Accountability Commission, and has served on a number of boards and commissions, including Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Delaware, the Wilmington Civil Rights Commission, and the Kutz Home.
Denn has also worked as an adjunct professor at Widener University Law School in the area of constitutional law. He now lives in the North Star area, near Hockessin, Delaware with his wife, Michele, and twin children, Zachary and Adam.
- University of California at Berkeley, Bachelor
- Yale University, JD
Delaware Lieutenant Governor (2009-Present)
Denn won election as the Lieutenant Governor of Delaware in 2008, defeating Republican Charlie Copeland. His term in office, serving alongside Democratic Governor Jack Markell, began January 20, 2009.
Delaware Insurance Commissioner (2005-2009)
Denn was elected Delaware Insurance Commissioner in 2004. He defeated Karen Weldin Stewart in the Democratic primary election, and Republican Dave Ennis, who was at the time a member of the Delaware General Assembly from New Castle County, in the general election. He served until 2009, when he began his first term as Lieutenant Governor.
As commissioner, Denn focused on consumer protection, fighting to pass laws restricting credit scoring and unfair cancellation of homeowners insurance, as well as limiting increases to Delawareans' insurance rates.
Legal Counsel, Office of the Governor (2001-2003)
As Governor Ruth Ann Minner's legal counsel from 2001 through 2003, Denn wrote several of the Governor's major legislative initiatives, such as the Patients Bill of Rights (regulating health insurance companies), anti-terrorism legislation, environmental legislation, and legislation protecting school teachers from lawsuits. He also represented the Governor on a variety of task forces, including the Governor's Strategic Economic Council and the Governor's Cancer Task Force.
Denn won re-election as Lieutenant Governor of Delaware in 2012. He ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on September 11, 2012. He defeated Sher Valenzuela (R) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Lieutenant Governor of Delaware General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Matthew Denn Incumbent||61.6%||238,959|
|Election Results via Delaware State Board of Elections.|
Denn was endorsed by the Barbara Gittings Delaware Stonewall Democrats.
Denn raised $487,648 for his campaign. Copeland collected $555,874 in donations, and Cullen reported $0 in donations.
|Delaware Lieutenant Governor, 2008|
|Democratic Party||Matthew Denn||61.3%|
|Republican Party||Charles Copeland||38.7%|
|Blue Enigma Party||Peter Cullen||0.00% (92 total votes)|
|Delaware Insurance Commissioner, 2004|
|Republican||David H. Ennis||47.2%||163,027|
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of Matthew Denn's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|Matthew Denn's Campaign Contributions|
Delaware Lieutenant Governor
Delaware Insurance Commissioner
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$555,874 (Rep.)||$187,120 (Rep.)|
|Top 5 contributors||Rosalie Ableman||$1,200||Delaware Democratic Party||$21,000|
|Gilbert F. Shelsby||$1,200||Laborers||$3,600|
|Amy Kiefer||$1,200||BPG Real Estate Services||$2,400|
|Nath & Rosenthal Sonneschien||$1,200||David B. Brown||$2,400|
|Brian Schultz||$1,200||Steven J. Rothschild||$2,400|
The following organizations donated the maximum $1,200 in 2008:
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals
- United Distributors of Delaware
- Valero Energy
- Local 451 PAC
- Westmont Associates, Inc.
- Chateau Orleans
- Silver Lake Office Plaza II
The following individuals donated the maximum $1,200 in 2008:
- Robert Lewin
- Wendi Haas
- Jacqueline Miceli
- Amy Kiefer
- Zoe Roa
- Brian Schultz
- Rosalie Ableman
- Gilbert Shelsby
- Jay Eisenhofer
- Bifferato Gentilotti
- Paul Diconsiglio
- Gary Hindes
- Bruce Stargatt
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Matthew + Denn + Delaware + Lieutenant + Governor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Lt. Gov Denn unveils workers comp task force report - WDDE 91.1 FM
- Del. school's card program keeps parents involved by recognizing, rewarding ... - The Republic
- Class notes - The News Journal
- Delaware Workers' Comp Task Force Issues Report, Recommendations - Insurance Journal
- Workers' compensation report makes sense - The News Journal
- Delaware Senate to vote on marriage bill - Washington Blade
- Delaware officials unveil gun bill - Pittsburgh Post Gazette
- Gun show loop hole is now closed in Delaware - Newsworks.org
- Nicole Hockley: Don't wait for tragedy to see importance of gun laws - The News Journal
- Delaware House committee releases high-capacity ammunition magazine bill - The News Journal
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Lieutenant Governor of Delaware:
Dover, DE 19901
Phone: (302) 744-4333
Email: Matthew Denn
- Lieutenant Governor Office website
- Official campaign website
- Project Vote Smart biographical profile
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004
- Facebook page
- Twitter account
- YouTube account
- Flickr account
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 LtGov.Delaware.Gov, "Biography of Matthew Denn," accessed August 9, 2011
- ↑ Delaware State Board of Elections "General Election Results 2012" Accessed November 6, 2012
- ↑ Barbara Gittings Delaware Stonewall Democrats "Endorsed Candidates" Accessed September 5, 2012
- ↑ Delaware Elections Commissioner, "General election results," accessed August 9, 2011
- ↑ Follow the Money.org, "Delaware candidates 2008," accessed August 9, 2011
- ↑ State of Delaware, "2004 general election results," accessed December 10, 2011
- ↑ Follow the Money.org
- ↑ Follow the Money, Matthew Denn candidate summary, retrieved August 9, 2011
- ↑ Delaware Commissioner of Elections, "Campaign finance table," retrieved August 9, 2011
John C. Carney, Jr. (D)
|Lieutenant Governor of Delaware
2009 - present
| Succeeded by|