For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Idaho State Senate District 11|
|January 2009 - 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Appointed by||Gov. Butch Otter|
|High school||Middleton High School|
|Bachelor's||University of Idaho|
|Master's||College of Idaho|
|Date of birth||October 29, 1958|
Smyser formerly served as a school district trustee. She holds a master’s degree in education from the College of Idaho. In 2008, Smyser was named “Canyon County Republican of the Year”. She works as a Safe and Drug Free School Program Coordinator.
Smyser says that her attitude toward serving in the senate is, "Set the budget, get your work done and go home."
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Smyser served on these committees:
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Smyser served on these committees:
- See also: Idaho State Senate elections, 2012
- See also: Idaho State Senate elections, 2010
Smyser had no opposition in the May 25 primary. She ran against Democratic candidate, Shannon L. Forrester, and Independent candidate, Kirsten Faith Richardson in the general election on November 2, 2010.
| Idaho State Senate, District 11 |
2010 General election results
|Melinda Smyser (R)||10,386||73.3%|
|Shannon Forrester (D)||2,822||19.9%|
|Kirsten Faith Richardson (I)||959||6.8%|
On November 4, 2008, Republican Brad Little won re-election to the Idaho State Senate District 11 receiving 14,870 votes, ahead of Independent Kirsten Faith Richardson(4,309). In January 2009, Little became the Lieutenant Governor and Melinda Smyser was appointed to take his place.
|Idaho State Senate, District 11 (2008)|
|Brad Little (R)||14,870||77.5%|
|Kirsten Faith Richardson (Independent)||4,309||22.5%|
In 2010, Smyser received $47,941 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Idaho State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Melinda Smyser's campaign in 2010|
|Jr Simplot Co||$2,000|
|Canyon County Republican Central Cmte||$1,846|
|Farmers Insurance Group||$1,200|
|Total Raised in 2010||$47,941|
Smyser represents Idaho Senate District 11. District 11 includes the northern half of Canyon County and all of Gem counties.
Melinda is married to Skip Smyser, who is a prominent attorney and lobbyist who served in the state senate from 1983-1990. They live in Parma, Idaho and have four children.
- Official Idaho Senate website
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Press release of Butch Otter announcing Smyser's appointment (timed out)
- Spokane Spokesman, "Melinda Smyser appointed to Senate," January 17, 2009
- Idaho Statesman, "First-time lawmaker urges action," April 5, 2009
- Idaho Senate, Members of Idaho senate standing committees
- The Republic, "Idaho redistricting panel adopts legislative map, plans to meet Monday on congressional plan," October 14, 2011
- Idaho Reporter, "GOP gain in Idaho House could trigger policy changes," November 3, 2010
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Idaho Senate official election results for 2008," November 4, 2008
- Follow the Money, "2010 candidate contributions," accessed April 16, 2014
- "Idaho Legislature" 2009 Legislative Directory, July 22, 2009(See page 2)
|Idaho Senate District 11
| Succeeded by|
Patti Anne Lodge (R)