|Menachem "Mendy" Raitport|
|Former candidate for|
|New York State Senate, District 20|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
Raitport's campaign website highlighted the following issues:
Public Education Improvements
- Excerpt: "With these raw realities in mind, children and scholars of all ages can only be granted a fair opportunity to achieve greater heights with the resurgence of Trade Schools, free community youth programs and a comprehensive annual grading system of educators and curriculums. Raitport aims to make our local economy flourish with career opportunities, better education and constructive after school care programs."
Housing and Job Opportunities
- Excerpt: "New York is expensive but it is unacceptable that Brooklyn businesses are forced to charge more than Manhattan shops to cover increasingly higher taxes. As a small business owner, Raitport has first hand experience with the operational grapples and maintenance struggles entailed. As a result, you can count on Raitport to adamantly pursue lower taxes and to eliminate the other barriers small businesses encounter so everyone can work, eat and take more of their hard earned money home."
- Excerpt: "Speaking of homes, Raitport supports affordable housing, a cap on property taxes and tenant protection. In fact, Raitport would fight to lower property taxes, especially for the elderly. Moreover, school districts would not be impacted negatively rather Raitport encourages schools to entice companies for investments and student training. Companies would receive their return on investments by training students to become prospective interns and direct hires."
Health Care, Welfare and Public Programs
- Excerpt: "Raitport is determined to improve and create new publicly funded clinics with better services to ensure each patient is never turned away. Healthy bodies equal healthy neighborhoods and supplementary programs such as food stamps and welfare are necessary. The only thing New York needs to cut is wasteful spending, not the public programs meant to help put our citizens back on their feet. In order to repair and nourish the 20th District, Raitport will also create new community outreach and events services that are inclusive of and cater to every resident and business."
Promoting Equal Opportunities
- Excerpt: "Raitport is a strong advocate for Women’s Rights and Equal Opportunities. He aims to work with Albany to ensure our police forces and businesses are properly trained to combat domestic violence, discrimination and sexual harassment. The elderly funded the community with their own taxes then so their needs now will not be ignored any longer. Raitport will also implement solutions for single parents and working mothers so that they too get the public assistance necessary to overcome hardships and inequality."
- See also: New York State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of New York State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on September 9, 2014. The general election took place November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was July 10, 2014. Jesse Hamilton defeated Rubain Dorancy and Guillermo Philpotts in the Democratic primary, while Menachem Raitport was unopposed in the Conservative primary. Hamilton defeated Raitport in the general election.
|New York State Senate District 20, General Election, 2014|
|New York State Senate, District 20 Democratic Primary, 2014|
- See also: New York State Assembly elections, 2010
Raitport was uncontested in the September 14 Republican primary. He was defeated by incumbent Karim Camara (D) in the general election on November 2. In addition to running on the Republican ticket, Raitport ran on the Conservative Party ticket.
|New York State Assembly, District 43 (2010)|
|Karim Camara (D)||17,293|
|Menachem Raitport (R)||1,538|
A resident of the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn, Raitport is a married father of six and a small business owner and operator. He is the son of Yitzchok Raitport, a rabbi, scholar and philanthropist in the Borough Park neighborhood of Brooklyn.
Raitport is also an experienced EMT and long-time member of Hatzolah, the community volunteer ambulance corps.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mendy + Raitport + New + York + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New York State Senate
- New York State Senate District 20
- New York State Senate elections, 2014
- New York State Legislature
- Official campaign website
- Menachem Raitport on Facebook
- Menachem Raitport on Twitter
- New York State Senate
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Raitport District 20, "Key Issues," accessed October 7, 2014
- New York Board of Elections, "Certification for the September 9, 2014, State Primary Election," accessed December 17, 2014
- New York Board of Elections, "Primary results for September 9, 2014," accessed October 1, 2014
- New York Board of Elections, "NYS Board of Elections Senate Election Returns November 4, 2014," accessed December 17, 2014
- New York Times, "NY state legislative election results," accessed February 11, 2014
- New York State Board of Elections, "Official Primary results from September 14, 2010," accessed July 31, 2014