Merrill Area School District Referendum (2009)
On February 19, 2008 the school board asked voters to approve a $2.9 million referendum. It was rejected by 71 percent of voters.
Defeated, with 1,836 "yes" votes and 3,153 "no" votes.
"For a resident in a home with an assessed value of $100,000, the yearly increase under this solution would be $60 for 2009-10, $51 for 2010-11, and $46 for 2011-12."
Wording of referendum
“Shall the following resolution be approved? RESOLUTION TO INCREASE REVENUE LIMITS BE IT RESOLVED by the School Board of the Merrill Area Common Public School District, Lincoln, Langlade and Marathon Counties, Wisconsin, that, in order to provide for operational needs, the School District budget for each of the 2009-10 through 2011-12 school years and thereafter shall include the following amounts in excess of the revenue limits imposed by Section 121.91(2m), Wisconsin Statutes: for the 2009-10 school year an amount of $760,000 for recurring purposes; for the 2010-11 school year an additional amount of $675,000 for recurring purposes; for the 2011-12 school year an additional amount of $690,000 for recurring purposes (for a total increase of $2,125,000 for the 2011-12 school year and thereafter).”
- Merrill Area School District website
- Merrill Referendum, Newswatch 12, February 12, 2009
- MAPS BoE refines possible referendum question (dead link), Foto News, January 20, 2009
- Frequently Asked Questions about the referendum from MAPS (dead link)
- Merrill will try again for school aid, Wausau Daily Herald, January 29, 2009
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction Referendum Database
- Costs, from MAPS (dead link)