|Rhode Island House of Representatives District 45|
|January 2, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Councilwoman for District 5 - Cumberland|
|Bachelor's||State University of New York at Binghamton|
Ackerman earned her B.A. in Political Economics from State University of New York at Binghamton. Her professional experience includes working as a self-employed real estate title examiner.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Ackerman served on the following committees:
|Rhode Island Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Municipal Government, Vice-Chair|
|• Health, Education and Welfare|
In the 2013-2014 legislative session, Ackerman served on the following committees:
|Rhode Island Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Health, Education and Welfare|
|• Municipal Government|
Ackerman's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "I support the efforts of General Treasurer Gina Raimondo for statewide pension reform and will continue to work with her on full implementation of her plan adopted by General Assembly."
- Excerpt: "I will always fight to ensure adequate financial resources are available at the state level to help cities and towns. I will urge acceleration of the state’s new funding formula for public education to provide more money to municipalities."
- Excerpt: "As I have done on the Cumberland Town Council, I will always advocate for strong public schools and the need for educational excellence to make our state more competitive with others."
- Excerpt: "I will work to ease burdensome state regulations and to streamline the permitting and licensing procedures that hurt our small businesses in Cumberland and Lincoln."
- Excerpt: "As I have done on the Cumberland Town Council and as a member of several environmental organizations, I will support all efforts to protect open space for recreation and conservation purposes."
Elections for the office of Rhode Island House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on September 9, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 25, 2014. Incumbent Mia Ackerman was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Paul Simoes was removed from the ballot before the primary. Ackerman was unchallenged in the general election.
Ackerman won election in the 2012 election for Rhode Island House of Representatives District 45. Ackerman defeated incumbent Rene Menard in the September 11 Democratic primary and was unopposed in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Rhode Island House of Representatives, District 45, General Election, 2012|
|Rhode Island House of Representatives, District 45 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Rene Menard Incumbent||45.8%||900|
Comprehensive donor information for Mia Ackerman is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Mia Ackerman raised a total of $13,697 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 2, 2013.
|Mia Ackerman's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Rhode Island House of Representatives, District 45||$13,697|
|Grand Total Raised||$13,697|
2012Mia Ackerman won election to the Rhode Island House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Mia Ackerman raised a total of $13,697.
|Rhode Island House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Mia Ackerman's campaign in 2012|
|Ackerman, Mia A||$3,188|
|Harnick, Dr Harris||$400|
|Total Raised in 2012||$13,697|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- American Civil Liberties Union of Rhode Island: 2013-2014 Voting Record
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills related to civil liberties.
- Common Cause: 2013-2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on votes on government reform.
- Rhode Island Center for Freedom and Prosperity: 2013 Session Freedom Index
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills deemed to have an effect on free-market, small-government, or constitutional principles.
- National Federation of Independent Business in Rhode Island: 2013-2014 Voting Record
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key small business issues.
Ackerman and her husband, Barry, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Mia + Ackerman + Rhode Island + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Rhode Island House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Rhode Island General Assembly
- Joint Committees
- Rhode Island state legislative districts
- Profile from the Rhode Island House of Representatives
- Official campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography of Rep. Mia Ackerman," accessed June 10, 2014
- miaackerman.blogspot.com, "Issues," accessed August 6, 2014
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "Candidates for Representative in General Assembly," accessed June 30, 2014
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "2014 Statewide Primary Results: Representative in General Assembly," accessed September 26, 2014
- Rhode Island Board of Elections, "Official 2014 general election results," accessed December 4, 2014
- Candidates in Upcoming Elections, "Rhode Island Secretary of State," accessed July 10, 2012
- State of Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2012 Statewide Primary Results," accessed June 10, 2014
- State of Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2012 Statewide General Election Results," accessed June 10, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Ackerman, Mia," accessed August 2, 2013