A vote about whether to recall Michael Alifano, Douglas Mackintosh and Gary Riddell from their seats as elected officials of the Coastside Fire Protection District took place on April 9, 2013. All three officials were recalled from their seats.
Reasons for recall
The recalled officials were targeted because of their efforts to sever ties with Cal Fire. The candidates who were chosen to replace the recalled officials promised to sign a new contract with Cal Fire.
Mike Alifano statement
In response to the recall, Alifano submitted this comment for the official voter guide:
- "The board of the Coastside Fire Protection District had made a policy decision to embrace a better service delivery model that meets the unique needs of the Coastside. There has been no evidence of wrongdoing, no graft; no reason for a recall other than Calfire's Union wants to control the Coastside Fire Protection District Board. This recall effort is a bold power play by Calfire's Union to put into place people that are loyal only to them. Calfire has ultimately determined the level of service they can provide rather than the level set by the local Fire Board. Do we want to be controlled by a State agency and its bureaucracy?
- "Calfire has failed to perform by the terms of the contract that was mutually agreed upon for the last 5 years. Now, when the Coastside Fire Protection District board directors need to hold CalFire accountable and compare CalFire to other options, CalFire's Union starts and funds a recall effort on the very fire board members that are critical of their performance.
- "I want to increase our level of service by bringing back a second ambulance, water rescue program, encouraging long-term local employees and most importantly, hiring a Fire Chief that works for the fire board and our community."
Doug Mackintosh statement
In response to the recall, Mackintosh submitted this comment for the official voter guide:
- "I have tried for five years to work within the State-Run, CalFire system, and have been very frustrated. The needs of the Coastside are unique and need a stable work-force. In a state-run agency, there is easy movement of employees all over the state, and presently, as an example, one of our most valued employees, a long-term Coastside resident has been shifted away from the Coastside, in spite of our protests. Needed positions have also remained unfilled. During California fire season, our Coastside firefighters have been held (unable to go home) for three weeks straight because of California mandates to hold ALL firefighters employed by CalFire.
- "We have developed a timetable and five-year conservative budget to insure that there is long term sustainability with no new taxes and no reduction in service to the Coastside.
- "After careful study, debate and observation, I join with the other local businessman, Mike Alifano, and retired local firefighter, Gary Riddell, on the Board saying, 'We can do better with a local fire department than the one run by the State of California!"
All three incumbents were recalled by a 2-to-1 margin. They will be replaced with Karen K. Anderson, J.B. Cockrell, and Harvey Rarback.
Michael Alifano recall
Douglas Mackintosh recall
Gary Riddell recall