|Former candidate for|
|Indiana Auditor of State|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Blackford High School (1970)|
|Bachelor's||Ball State University (1974) (Accounting)|
|J.D.||Indiana University - Indianapolis School of Law (1983)|
|Place of birth||Hartford City, Indiana|
Claytor is a retired CPA. His four decade career in government finance goes back to 1974, when he was appointed Deputy State Examiner at the Indiana State Board of Accounts by then-Indiana Governor Bob Orr. According to his introduction YouTube video, Claytor's tenure with the State Board of Accounts was dedicated in large part to fighting white collar crime and corruption.
He was a long-time partner at Crowe Horwath, a top CPA firm from which Claytor retired in 2012 after five years working in Florida, where he registered to vote in 2008. Though he returned to Indiana and restored his voter status there in 2012, Claytor's brief stint as a Florida voter was a sensitive issue at the outset of his 2014 campaign. Following his entry into the race in September 2013, ex-Indiana Auditor and Republican State Chairman Tim Berry cast Claytor as an outsider, welcoming him as a "Floridian."
Mike was born in Hartford City, Indiana. After graduating from Blackford High School in 1970, he attended Ball State University and received his bachelor's degree in accounting. In 1979, he became an Indiana-licensed CPA. He earned his J.D. from Indiana University - Indianapolis School of Law four years later.
After years serving as an examiner for the Indiana State Board of Accounts, Claytor took a position at the private firm of Crowe Horwath (formerly Crowe Chisek). He was made a partner at the top-ten CPA firm in 1992 and for the next 20 years, he assisted local units of government research economic development incentives.
A lifelong Indiana resident, Claytor was relocated to Florida for his final five years at the firm, and he registered as a Florida voter 2008. Upon his retirement in 2012, Claytor returned to his home state and restored his Indiana voter registration.
- Blackford High School (1970)
- Bachelor's degree - Ball State University (1974)
- C.P.A. License (1979)
- Juris Doctorate - Indiana University's Indianapolis School of Law (1983)
Claytor ran for election to the office of Indiana Auditor of State. He was nominated by the Indiana Democratic Party at the primary convention on May 31, 2014. He faced Republican incumbent Suzanne Crouch and Libertarian John Schick in the general election. The general election took place November 4, 2014.
|Indiana Auditor, 2014|
|Republican||Suzanne Crouch Incumbent||59.6%||792,079|
|Election Results via Indiana Secretary of State. Vote totals above are unofficial and reflect 100% precincts reporting.|
Upon launching his campaign for auditor in 2014, Claytor stated his campaign platform would be restoring transparency and accountability to state government. He specifically cited the need to address the accounting blunders that led to the state misplacing over half a billion dollars, and making financial transactions more transparent to the voters.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mike + Claytor + Indiana + Auditor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Campaign Facebook
- Campaign Twitter
- Campaign YouTube
- Madison Courier: Auditor Candidate says he's got state government's number
- WISHTV.com, "CPA Michael Claytor running for auditor," September 11, 2013
- WTHR, "2014 Election Results," accessed November 4, 2014
- Indiana Public Media, "Democrat Mike Claytor announces Candidacy for State Auditor," September 12, 2013
- YouTube - Claytor4Auditor, "Hi, my name is Mike Claytor," accessed October 2, 2013
- Michael Claytor for Auditor 2014 Official campaign website, "About Mike," accessed October 2, 2013
- Michael Claytor for Auditor 2014 Official campaign website, "Homepage," accessed October 2, 2013
- WIBC, "Former Board of Accounts Examiner running for State Auditor," September 12, 2013
State of Indiana
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | State Examiner | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utility Regulatory Commission |