|Indiana Auditor of State|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Blackford High School (1970)|
|Bachelor's||Ball State University (1974)|
|J.D.||Indiana University (1983)|
|Place of birth||Hartford City, Indiana|
Claytor is seeking the Democratic nomination in the primary and will likely face appointed incumbent Dwayne Sawyer (R) in the general election on November 4, 2014. If he wins, Claytor would be the first Democratic candidate to do so since 1982.
Mike was born in Hartford City, Indiana. After graduating from Blackford High School in 1970, he attended Ball State University for his undergraduate degree. In 1979, he became an Indiana-licensed CPA, and earned his J.D. from Indiana University - Indianapolis School of Law four years later.
Claytor is a 15-year veteran lead examiner at the Indiana State Board of Accounts. According to his introduction YouTube video, Claytor's tenure with the State Board of Accounts was dedicated in large part to fighting white collar crime and corruption.Although the majority of his career was spent as a state government employee, Claytor had shifted to the private sector prior to his retirement as a CPA. The shift was also geographical in nature, moving him away from his lifelong home state of Indiana, to Florida, where he worked for the private accounting firm of Crowe Horwath, and where he became a registered voter in 2008. His voter registration being outside of Indiana provided Republican incumbent Dwayne Sawyer with the opportunity to cast Claytor, his presumptive general election opponent, as an outsider. Sawyer pointedly referred to Claytor as a "Floridian" following his entry into the 2014 auditor race.
- Blackford High School (1970)
- Bachelor's degree - Ball State University (1974)
- C.P.A. License (1979)
- Juris Doctorate - Indiana University's Indianapolis School of Law (1983)
"Hi, my name is Mike Claytor" - Released September 2013
Upon launching his campaign for auditor in 2014, Claytor stated his campaign platform would be restoring transparency and accountability to state government. He specifically cited the need to address the BMV and other agencies' "overcharging its citizens for routine services and healthcare numbers have been skewed for political purposes.”
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Michael + Claytor + Indiana + Auditor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- WISHTV.com, "CPA Michael Claytor running for auditor," September 11, 2013
- Michael Claytor for Auditor 2014 Official campaign website, "About Mike," accessed October 2, 2013
- Indiana Public Media, "Democrat Mike Claytor announces Candidacy for State Auditor," September 12, 2013
- YouTube - Claytor4Auditor, "Hi, my name is Mike Claytor," accessed October 2, 2013
- Michael Claytor for Audito 2014 Official campaign website, "Homepage," accessed October 2, 2013
State of Indiana
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | State Examiner | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utility Regulatory Commission |