|Indiana Auditor of State|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Blackford High School (1970)|
|Bachelor's||Ball State University (1974)|
|J.D.||Indiana University (1983)|
|Place of birth||Hartford City, Indiana|
Mike was born in Hartford City, Indiana. After graduating from Blackford High School in 1970, he attended Ball State University, where he graduated with a degree in accounting.
In 1979, he became an Indiana-licensed CPA. He earned his J.D. from Indiana University - Indianapolis School of Law four years later.
Claytor has 40 years of experience in government finance. From 1974 to 1989 he served as an examiner at the Indiana State Board of Accounts, where he was appointed Deputy State Examiner by Governor Bob Orr. According to his introduction YouTube video, Claytor's tenure with the State Board of Accounts was dedicated in large part to fighting white collar crime and corruption.Following his career as a state government employee, Claytor joined Crowe Horwath (formerly Crowe Chisek), a top-ten CPA firm. In 1992, he became partner at the firm and spent the next two decades helping local units of government research economic development incentives. During his last five years with the firm he was moved to Florida, where he registered to vote in 2008. Although Claytor has spent 56 out of his 61 years living in Indiana, former State Auditor and Republican State Chairman Tim Berry cast Claytor as an outsider, welcoming Claytor as a "Floridian" following his entry into the 2014 auditor race. Claytor returned to Indiana when he retired in 2012 and re-registered to vote in Indiana.
- Blackford High School (1970)
- Bachelor's degree - Ball State University (1974)
- C.P.A. License (1979)
- Juris Doctorate - Indiana University's Indianapolis School of Law (1983)
Upon launching his campaign for auditor in 2014, Claytor stated his campaign platform would be restoring transparency and accountability to state government. He specifically cited the need to address the accounting blunders that led to the state misplacing over half a billion dollars, and making financial transactions more transparent to the voters.
"Hi, my name is Mike Claytor" - Released September 2013
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mike + Claytor + Indiana + Auditor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Campaign Facebook
- Campaign Twitter
- Campaign YouTube
- Madison Courier: Auditor Candidate says he's got state government's number
- WISHTV.com, "CPA Michael Claytor running for auditor," September 11, 2013
- Michael Claytor for Auditor 2014 Official campaign website, "About Mike," accessed October 2, 2013
- Indiana Public Media, "Democrat Mike Claytor announces Candidacy for State Auditor," September 12, 2013
- YouTube - Claytor4Auditor, "Hi, my name is Mike Claytor," accessed October 2, 2013
- WIBC, "Former Board of Accounts Examiner running for State Auditor," September 12, 2013
- Michael Claytor for Auditor 2014 Official campaign website, "Homepage," accessed October 2, 2013
State of Indiana
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | State Examiner | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utility Regulatory Commission |