|New Jersey State Senate District 23|
|January 10, 2014|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|Next election||November 5, 2013|
|New Jersey State General Assembly|
|Bachelor's||United States Military Academy at West Point, 1985|
|J.D.||Seton Hall University Law School, 1993|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1985-1989|
|Birthday||May 24, 1963|
|Place of birth||Point Pleasant, NJ|
Doherty served in the New Jersey General Assembly from 2003-2009.
Doherty received a B.S. from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1985. He later received his J.D. from Seton Hall University School of Law in 1993. Doherty served as director of the Warren County Board of Freeholders from 2002-2003, and was Deputy Director from 2001-2002. He is currently a patent attorney with Doherty and Charney LLC. Doherty served in the U.S. Army from 1985 to 1989 and the U.S. Army Reserves from 1989 to 1993.
In the 2010-2011 legislative session, Doherty served on these committees:
- See also: New Jersey State Senate elections, 2013
- See also: New Jersey State Senate elections, 2011
Doherty won re-election to the District 23 State Senate seat in 2011. He ran unopposed in the June 7 Republican primary. Doherty defeated John Graf (D) and Daniel Seyler (I) in the general election which took place on November 8, 2011. 
|New Jersey State Senate District 23 General Election, 2011|
|Republican||Michael Doherty Incumbent||61.3%||21,596|
In 2011, Doherty received $88,110 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|New Jersey State Senate 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Michael Doherty's campaign in 2011|
|Boraie Development LLC||$5,200|
|Steinhardt, Douglas J||$2,600|
|Graham, Ryan D||$2,600|
|New Jersey Automobile Dealers Assocation||$2,600|
|Total Raised in 2011||$88,110|
|Total Votes received in 2011||21,596|
|Cost of each vote received||$4.08|
Below are Doherty's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2007 election:
|New Jersey Coalition Of Automotive Retailers||$2,500|
|New Jersey Association Of Realtors||$1,500|
- A648 Includes same sex marriages among marriages declared void; provides that New Jersey will not recognize marriages in other jurisdictions which are void in New Jersey.
- A668 Decreases membership of county boards of taxation to 2004 level.
- A669 Prohibits use of public funds for embryonic stem cell research.
- A2413 Eliminates separate presidential primary election; provides delegates and alternates to national conventions of political parties will be elected at regular June primary election. 
Doherty and his wife, Linda, have three children. They currently reside in Oxford, New Jersey.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Michael + Doherty + New Jersey + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- NJSpotlight, "Candidates: Legislative District 23," November 2, 2011
- NJSpotlight, "Legislative District 23," October 12, 2011
- New Jersey Senate - Hon. Michael Doherty
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Campaign Contributions: 2007, 2005, 2003, 1999
- Mike Doherty on Facebook
- Mike Doherty on Twitter
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Assemblyman Doherty
- ↑ Star Ledger "N.J. Sen. Michael Doherty endorses GOP hopeful U.S. Rep. Ron Paul during Trenton rally," September 26, 2011
- ↑ NJ.com "Doherty, Kyrillos set up 'classic' GOP primary fight to challenge U.S. Sen. Menendez," Accessed January 6, 2012
- ↑ Politicker NJ "Christie campaigns with Kyrillos in Springfield, emphasizes bipartisan message," February 16, 2012
- ↑ New Jersey Department of State, 2011 Official State Senate Primary Candidate List
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2011 contributions
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2007 Campaign contributions
- ↑ New Jersey Legislature - Bills by Sponsor
|New Jersey State Senate District 23
| Succeeded by|
|New Jersey Assembly District 23
| Succeeded by|