|Michael L. Fitzgerald|
|Iowa State Treasurer|
|January 1, 1983 - Present|
|Years in position||33|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Iowa (Business Administration)|
|Place of birth||Marshalltown, Iowa|
Fitzgerald is the longest-serving state treasurer in the country as of December 2014. He managed to win re-election on the Democratic ticket in 2010 despite Republican landslides across the state.
Fitzgerald ran for re-election in 2014. He was uncontested in the Democratic primary and faced two general election challengers, Republican Sam Clovis and Libertarian Keith Laube. Michael Fitzgerald won the general election on November 4, 2014.
Fitzgerald was born in Marshalltown, Iowa. He graduated from high school in Colo, Iowa and went on to receive a B.S. in business administration from the University of Iowa. He worked as a marketing analyst for Massey Ferguson Company for eight years before assuming the office of treasurer.
- B.S., business administration, University of Iowa
Iowa Treasurer (1982-present)
Fitzgerald has served as Treasurer of Iowa since he was first elected in 1982, the same year Republican Iowa Governor Terry Branstad was first elected. Fitzgerald won re-election eight times subsequently, most recently in 2014.
As of December 2014, Fitzgerald is the country's longest-serving state treasurer.
Fitzgerald ran for re-election as state treasurer in 2014. He was unopposed for the Democratic nomination in the June 3 primary, and faced incumbent Republican Sam Clovis and Libertarian Keith Laube in the general election. The general election took place November 4, 2014.
Fitzgerald had initially considered running for Governor of Iowa in the 2014 elections. He did not put together an exploratory committee, instead looking to friends and supporters for advice about a potential bid to challenge to long-time GOP incumbent Gov. Terry Branstad. Fitzgerald set a deadline of Labor Day 2013 to make a final decision on the race, and on August 30, he announced he would not pursue the office.
|Iowa Treasurer, 2014|
|Democratic||Michael Fitzgerald Incumbent||52.9%||576,942|
|Election Results via Iowa Secretary of State.|
|Iowa Treasurer, 2010|
|Democratic||Michael Fitzgerald Incumbent||52.9%||567,422|
|Republican||David D. Jamison||47.1%||504,605|
|Election Results via Iowa Secretary of State|
Comprehensive donor information for Fitzgerald is available dating back to 1998. Based on available campaign finance records, Fitzgerald raised a total of $340,470 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 10, 2013.
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of Michael Fitzgerald's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|Michael Fitzgerald's Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$164,795||n/a||$197,445||$38,490|
|Top 5 contributors||David Epstein||$5,000||Bank of New York||$11,000||Iowa Democratic Party||$21,900||David Steiner||$3,000|
|Great Plains Laborers District Council||$5,000||Kenneth Fisher||$5,000||Jerry Crawford||$7,000||AFSCME Iowa Council 61||$2,000|
|Keith Fleischman||$3,500||Jerry Crawford||$2,528||Effective Growth Committee|
and Lynden Lyman
|$5,000 each||Joseph & Rhonda Watton||$1,000|
|Lynden Lyman||$2,600||Bernstein Liebhard & Lifshitz||$2,500||Robert Helmick|
and Kenneth Fisher
|$5,000 each||Building Americas Conscience & Kids|
and Candidate's Personal Funds
|Iowa Democratic Party|
and Geoffrey Jarvis
|$3,500 each||Affiliated Computer Services||$2,500||Responsibility Opportunity Community||$2,500||Iowa State Auto Workers|
and State Street Bank & Trust Co
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Michael + Fitzgerald + Iowa + Treasurer"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official Homepage of the State Treasurer of Iowa
- Michael Fitzgerald's Office Biography
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Iowa Treasurer's Office, "Meet Mike," accessed May 15, 2012
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Results Report: 2010 General Election held Tuesday, November 2nd 2010," November 29, 2010
- Iowa Secretary of State, "LIST OF WINNERS, GENERAL ELECTION: NOVEMBER 8, 1994," accessed October 12, 2014
- Des Moines Register, Fitzgerald will disclose if he’s running for Iowa governor by Labor Day, August 23, 2013
- Des Moines Register, Democrat Mike Fitzgerald rules out a run for Iowa governor, August 30, 2013
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Final Candidate Listing by Office 2014," March 15, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Statewide election results November 2, 2010"
- Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for Michael L. Fitzgerald," accessed July 10, 2013
- Follow the Money.org
| Succeeded by|