|Colorado House of Representatives District 18|
| Term in office began|
| Term in office ended|
Merrifield is retied. He worked as a teacher and director of choirs at Coronado High School, and was a small business owner. He served on the Manitou Springs City Council from 1996-2000.
Merrifield did not provide answers to the Colorado State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test informs voters how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
Colorado Senate Bill 57
As a member of the Colorado House Education Committee, Merrifield voted against Colorado Senate Bill 57, also known as the Public School Financial Transparency Act, a bill to create transparency in state education expenditures. Merrifield received substantial campaign contributions from the Colorado Education Association, which lobbied against the bill's passage.
- Education Committee (Chair)
- Education, Colorado General Assembly (Vice Chair)
- Transportation, Colorado General Assembly
- Transportation & Energy Committee
Merrifield's sponsored legislation includes:
- HB 09-1107 - HOA Limits On Energy Efficiency Measures
- HB 09-1312 - Renewable Energy Loans For Schools
- HB 09-1326 - Integrity Of Citizen-Initiated Petitions
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
Merrifield was ineligible to run for re-election to the 18th District seat due to the term limits of the Colorado House of Representatives.
Merrifield raised $50,948 for his campaign, while Szot raised $429.
|Colorado State House, District 18 (2008)|
|Michael Merrifield (D)||17,231|
|Katherine Szot (R)||9,980|
Below are Merrifield's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|CO Education Assoc||$4,250|
|CO Professional Fire Fighters||$4,000|
|Food & Commercial Workers Local 7||$4,000|
|CO State Conference of Electrical Workers||$2,000|
- Michael Merrifield's personal website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000
- Michael Merrifield on Facebook
- Mike Merrifield on LinkedIn
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Merrifield
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Merrifield Issue Positions
- Independence Institute blog, The House Education Committee, March 18, 2009
- Colorado Secretary of State "2008 General election results," accessed April 14, 2014
- Follow the Money "Funds raised by 2008 House candidates," accessed April 14, 2014
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
|Colorado House District 18
| Succeeded by|