|Kansas State Senate District 25|
|January 14, 2013 - Present|
|January 9, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Profession||Communications director for the Hartman Companies|
O'Donnell served on the Wichita City Council prior to joining the Senate.
O'Donnell earned his B.S. in Political Science from Friends University.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, O'Donnell served on the following committees:
|Kansas Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Public Health and Welfare|
|• Ethics, Elections and Local Government|
|• Ways and Means|
|• Natural Resources|
O'Donnell's website highlighted the following campaign issues:
- Creating New Jobs: "I will never stop working until the business climate in Kansas is the best in America. We must have a tax structure that encourages job growth and strengthens the middle class. I support tax cuts that focus on new jobs and more take home pay – for every family and small business."
- Cut Wasteful Spending: "It is imperative to have lawmakers in Topeka who can and will make tough decisions for our state. I want to cut wasteful spending in Topeka and get us on course for fiscal responsibility. I know when to say enough is enough and end the waste and mismanagement throughout government."
- Protecting Education: "We need our leaders to fight for each classroom and make sure your tax dollars make it to the teachers and the students – where it is needed most. Our schools and school systems are in desperate need for lawmakers who support their efforts. Our children deserve more funding."
- Preserving Healthcare: "I will oppose ObamaCare consistently to make sure WE have control of our own health care -- not the bureaucrats in Washington, D.C. Each time, I will vote against ObamaCare."
- Defending Our Constitution: "The 1st and 2nd Amendments are under attack daily – freedom of religion and speech, and the right to keep and bear arms. I will consistently fight to uphold these constitutional amendments."
- Limiting Federal Government: "I will preserve our independence by combatting government overreach in our lives. Out-of-control federal spending must be addressed and spending on non-constitutional programs must be eliminated. We no longer have an option."
- Guarding Lives: "I will fight for the life of every Kansan from conception to natural death and will promote our law enforcement daily."
- See also: Kansas State Senate elections, 2012
O'Donnell won election in the 2012 election for Kansas State Senate District 25. O'Donnell defeated incumbent Jean Kurtis Schodorf in the Republican primary on August 7, and defeated Dave Thomas (L) and Tim Snow (D) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Kansas State Senate, District 25, General Election, 2012|
|Kansas State Senate, District 25 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Jean Schodorf Incumbent||41.2%||1,949|
Comprehensive donor information for O'Donnell is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, O'Donnell raised a total of $174,501 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 4, 2013.
|Michael O'Donnell's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Kansas State Senate, District 25||$174,501|
|Grand Total Raised||$174,501|
2012O'Donnell won election to the Kansas State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, O'Donnell raised a total of $174,501.
|Kansas State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Michael O'Donnell's campaign in 2012|
|Kansas Chamber of Commerce & Industry||$2,398|
|Mark V Heitz Revocable Trust||$2,000|
|Wheat State Investments||$2,000|
|Cornejo & Sons||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$174,501|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Kansas Freedom Index
The Kansas Policy Institute, Kansas’s "first free market think tank," releases its legislator scorecard as a part of its Kansas Freedom Index for Kansas state representatives and senators once a year. The Score Card gives each legislator a score from 1%-100% based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on specific issues which the Kansas Policy Institute thought were pro-limited government policies.
Michael O'Donnell received a score of 67.2% in the 2013 index.
O'Donnell has served as chair of the Sedgwick County Young Republicans and member of the board of the Wichita YMCA and The American Cancer Society's Cattleman's Ball.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Michael + O'Donnell + Kansas + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Kansas State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Joint Committees
- Kansas state legislative districts
- Kansas State Legislature
- Kansas Legislature - Senator Michael O'Donnell
- Profile from Open States
- Michael O'Donnell on Facebook
- Michael O'Donnell on Twitter
- Campaign Contributions: 2012
- The Wichita Eagle, "Michael O’Donnell issues apology before leaving Wichita City Council," December 18, 2012
- Michael for Kansas, "Biography," accessed July 26, 2012
- Michael for Kansas, "Issues," accessed July 26, 2012
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 29, 2014
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2012 General Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 31, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "O'Donnell, Michael," accessed June 4, 2013
- Kansas Policy Institute, "Freedom Index," accessed March 31, 2014
- 2013 Kansas Policy Index
Jean Schodorf (R)
|Kansas State Senate District 25
| Succeeded by|