Michael J. Rubio
|Michael J. Rubio|
|California State Senate District 16|
|December 6, 2010-February 22, 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||University of New Haven|
He previously served on the Board of Supervisors of the Fifth District from 2004 to 2010.
Rubio earned his B.S. from the University of New Haven and completed the Senior Executives in State and Local Government program at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Rubio served on these committees:
- Agriculture, Vice Chair
- Subcommittee on State Administration and General Government, Chair
- Energy, Utilities and Communications
- Fairs, Allocation, and Classification Committee, California Legislature
- Health Committee, California Senate
- Audit Committee, California Legislature
- Transportation and Housing Committee, California Senate
- Veterans Affairs Committee, California Senate
Rubio's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Our top priority must be to CREATE JOBS!!"
- Excerpt: "The lack of water is devastating entire communities up and down the Valley."
- Excerpt: "We must reform our state’s broken education system."
- Excerpt: "People get sick. They need a doctor. As layoffs increase, health insurance coverage must remain intact."
- See also: California State Senate elections, 2010
|California State Senate, District 16 General Election (2010)|
|Michael J. Rubio (D)||71,334|
|Tim Thiesen (R)||46,717|
In 2010, Rubio raised $1,546,453 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|California Democratic Party||$436,281|
|Kern County Democratic Central Cmte||$37,000|
|San Mateo County Democratic Central Cmte||$30,000|
|California Association Of Realtors||$15,600|
Rubio and his wife, Dora, have two daughters. When Rubio resigned from the state senate in February 2013, he said, "I have realized that my current professional path has left little opportunity to be home for those who are most important to me, which is why I am making a change."
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Michael + Rubio + California + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- California State Legislature
- California State Senate
- California Senate Committees
- California state legislative districts
- Michael Rubio's campaign website
- Senate website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Michael Rubio on Facebook
- San Francisco Chronicle, "Democrats lose state Senate supermajority', February 22, 2013
- rubioforsenate.com, "Issues," accessed December 8, 2014
- Roll Call, "Competitive Calif. District Drawing New Blood," October 11, 2011
- Bakersfield Californian, "Democrat jumps into congressional race," January 23, 2012
- California Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed March 13, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
|California State Senate District 16
| Succeeded by|
Andy Vidak (R)