|Acting Ohio Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|Former acting officeholder|
| August 2012 - March 2013|
|Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|Bachelor's||University of Akron|
|Master's||University of Akron|
|Other||Ohio School Leadership Academy (2008)|
is the former acting Ohio Superintendent of Public Instruction
. He served as state superintendent in a temporary capacity beginning in August 2012, when
previous officeholder Stan Heffner
stepped down amid revelations that he had committed several ethics violations stemming from his interactions with Educational Testing Services. Heffner was suspected of covering up a conflict of interest, among other allegations of misconduct, and being investigated by the state inspector general at the time of his resignation.
Sawyers, the Deputy Superintendent, was asked to filled in until the State Board of Education, which employs the Superintendent, appointed Richard Ross (Ohio)
as Heffner's permanent replacement.
Ross was appointed by the Ohio Board of Education, effective March 25, 2013.
Sawyers had also been a finalist for the position. Ross took over for Sawyers on May 25, 2013.
Sawyers holds a Bachelor's and Master's degree in education from the University of Akron, and is a graduate of the Ohio School Leadership Academy. Prior to joining the Ohio Department of Education, Sawyers has served in the roles of leadership instructor, coach, and facilitator at Ohio Principal’s Leadership Academy and the FirstRing Leadership Academy at Cleveland State University.
Superintendent of Public Instruction (2012-2013)
Sawyers first assumed the role of Acting Superintendent by the Ohio School Board of Education in August 2012. He was asked to step in after preceding superintendent Stan Heffner resigned amid a scandal involving a series of alleged ethics violations in connection to the New-Jersey based company Educational Testing Services. He applied for the position but ultimately the Board selected Richard Ross (Ohio) to officially succeed Heffner.
Sawyers was appointed Acting Ohio Superintendent of Public Instruction following the resignation of previous officeholder Stan Heffner effective August 10, 2012.
- ↑ ODE.state.OH.us, "Biography for Stan Heffner," accessed September 22, 2011
- ↑ ‘’NPR Ohio, “Ohio state superintendent Stan Heffner resigns amid ethics charges, attendance rigging investigation,” August 4, 2012
- ↑ Examiner, "Ohio education head Heffner resigns in wake of Inspector General report," August 4, 2012
- ↑ State Impact - NPR, "Richard Ross named Ohio State Superintendent," March 12, 2013
- ↑ Ohio Department of Education, "Michael Sawyers Leadership Profile," accessed February 7, 2013 (dead link)
- ↑ ‘’Springfield News Sun, “Report: Ohio’s top education official violated ethics rules,” August 2, 2012