Michigan Director of Natural Resources
|Michigan Director of Natural Resources|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|Authority:||Michigan Compiled Laws 299.13|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governor|
|Assumed office:||July 9, 2012|
|Other Michigan Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Director of Agriculture and Rural Development • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Director • Labor Director • Public Service Commission|
The Director serves alongside the Natural Resources Commission, a seven member public body appointed by the Governor.
As head of the Department of Natural Resources, the Director supervises the department, which is responsible for promoting outdoor recreational opportunities, wildlife and fisheries management, forest management, state land and minerals, state parks and recreation areas, and conservation and law enforcement.
The Director of Natural Resources is established in the Michigan Compiled Laws.
Michigan Compiled Laws 299.13:
|Transfer of powers and duties of the commission of natural resources, the department of natural resources, the director of the department of natural resources, and various agencies, boards, and commissions contained therein relating to natural resources management and environmental protection to the director of a new department of natural resources.|
The Director is appointed by the Governor.
The director oversees the Department of Natural Resources, which "is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural and cultural resources for current and future generations."
The four priorities of the DNR are:
- "Renewing Our Emphasis on Customer Service"
- "Building Strong Support for the Recreation Passport"
- "Increasing Resident/Visitor Participation in Outdoor Recreation and Stopping the Decline in Hunting and Fishing"
- "Fostering the Growth of Michigan's Natural Resource-Based Economy"
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Historical officeholders (1921-Present)
There have been 20 Directors of the Department of Natural Resources since 1921.
|List of Former Officeholders from 1921-Present|
|1||John Baird||1921 - 1926|
|2||Leigh Young||January 1927 - October 1927|
|3||George R. Hogarth||October 1927 - October 1934|
|4||P. J. Hoffmaster||October 1934 - March 1951|
|5||Gerald E. Eddy||April 1951 - April 1964|
|6||Ralph A. MacMullan||May 1964 - September 1972|
|7||A. Gene Gazlay||October 1972 - June 1974|
|8||Dave Jenkins*||July 1974 - December 1974|
|9||Howard A. Tanner||January 1975 - June 1983|
|10||James Cleary*||June 1983 - August 1983|
|11||Ronald O. Skoog||September 1983 - June 1986|
|12||Gordon Guyer||July 1986 - May 1988|
|13||David F. Hales||May 1988 - May 1991|
|14||Delbert Rector**||May 1991 - September 1991|
|15||Rollie Harmes||September 1991 - October 1995|
|16||Michael D. Moore||October 1995 - March 1996|
|17||K.L. Cool||April 1996 - May 2004|
|18||Rebecca A. Humphries||May 2004 - January 2011|
|19||Rodney Stokes||January 2011 - July 2012|
|20||Keith Creagh||July 2012 - present|
P.O. Box 30028
Lansing MI 48909
Director Phone: 517-373-2329
- ↑ Michigan Department of Natural Resources, "What is the NRC?" accessed November 5, 2011
- ↑ Michigan Department of Natural Resources, "The Department of Natural Resources…," Accessed November 5, 2011
- ↑ Detroit Free Press, "Gov. Rick Snyder announces small shuffle in his cabinet today," June 25, 2012
- ↑ Michigan Department of Natural Resources, " Mission, Priorities, Initiatives," accessed December 21, 2012
- ↑ Michigan Department of Natural Resources "DNR Directors Past and Present," Accessed May 23, 2013