Michigan Mining Restriction Measure (2012)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
The Michigan Mining Restriction Measure will not be on the 2012 statewide ballot in Michigan as an initiated state statute. The measure sought to implement tougher laws on mining in order to protect the Great Lakes as well as local inland lakes, rivers and the overall environment from contamination. The petition was filed by the Michigan Save Our Water Committee.
Originally the measure was proposed for the 2010 ballot, however in February 2010 supporters announced that there was an insufficient number of signatures and efforts would be geared towards the 2012 ballot.
Text of measure
The measure proposed:
- prohibiting uranium mining and processing until new rules are established
- requiring that sulfide and other types of mines be located 2,000 feet from lakes, streams and rivers
Sen. Mike Prusi, Sen. Jason Allen, Rep. Michael Lahti, Rep. Steven Lindberg and Rep. Judy Nerat all opposed to the proposed "Mining Restriction Measure." The lawmakers argued that the proposed measure would destroy the mining industry, eliminate jobs and ultimately destroy the Upper Peninsula economy. "While people in the U.P. are struggling to find work during these challenging economic times, wealthy backers of this ballot proposal are using misinformation and scare tactics in an effort to make the U.P. their private playground," they said in a November statement.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Michigan signature requirements
- ↑ Save the Wild UP,"Ballot," February 11, 2010
- ↑ Michigan Radio,"Casinos, Mining Questions May Be On 2010 Ballot," October 14, 2009
- ↑ Michigan Messenger,"Upper Peninsula lawmakers oppose ballot measure on mining," November 11, 2009
- ↑ Associated Press,"Michigan proposal would restrict mining operations," October 14, 2009
- ↑ Conversation with SOS office on May 30, 2012
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Michigan Supreme Court | Supreme Court Elections | Court of Appeals | First Circuit Court of Appeals | Second Circuit Court of Appeals | Third Circuit Court of Appeals | Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals | List of Michigan Circuit Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |
Freedom of Information Act | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | Transparency blogs | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |