The Michigan Redistricting Collaborative
(MRC) is a coalition of non-profit groups advocating for redistricting reform in Michigan
. Announced on February 10, 2011, it is part of the larger Draw the Line Midwest
The Michigan Redistricting Collaborative seeks a more transparent and open redistricting process, and to increase public involvement.
They propose four steps to open up the process:
- Require redistricting plans to be available on the Legislature’s web site for 30 days before passage.
- That each chamber be required to hold at least two committee meetings to receive testimony about the plan.
- That the Legislature hold at least four public hearings around the state to allow direct comment by the public.
- That the Legislature provide a statement for each district explaining how the boundaries were drawn and how the district has been changed.
As of April 8, 2011, the following organizations are listed as state partners.
- AARP Michigan
- ACLU of Michigan
- APIA Vote-Michigan
- Blue Water Developmental Housing
- Brain Injury Association of Michigan
- The Center for Michigan
- Clean Water Action
- Common Cause Michigan
- Data Driven Detroit
- Jackson County Chamber of Commerce
- Joint Cities Development
- LA SED (Latin Americans for Social and Economic Development)
- League of Women Voters of Michigan
- Michigan Association of United Ways
- Michigan Campaign Finance Network
- Michigan Campus Compact
- Michigan Center for Election Law and Administration
- Michigan Citizen Action
- Michigan Citizens Education Fund
- Michigan Coalition Against Homelessness
- Michigan Education Association
- Michigan Election Reform Alliance
- Michigan Jewish Federation
- Michigan Nonprofit Association
- Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service, Inc. (MPAS)
- Michigan Universal Healthcare Access Network
- Michigan Voice
- Multicultural Council of America
- NAACP – Michigan State Conference
- Nonprofit Network
- NorthSky Nonprofit Network
- Planned Parenthood
- Sugar Law Center for Economic and Social Justice
- United Way of Southeastern Michigan
- Volunteer Centers of Michigan
- Women’s Informal Network