Michigan elections, 2013
|On the 2013 ballot|
Exceptions include special elections.
Find current election news and links here.
State Senate District 27
- John Gleason (D) was elected as Genesee County Clerk on November 6, 2012, and resigned from his seat in the Michigan State Senate in December. Gov. Rick Snyder (R) called for a special election to take place on May 7, which Jim Ananich won. A primary took place March 12, with Jim Ananich (D) and Robert J. Daunt (R) advancing to the May 7 general election. On March 18, the Green Party nominated Bobby Jones to run in the general election.
- Related: See election results here.
- See also: Michigan state legislative special elections, 2013.
- See also: Absentee Voting
You are eligible to vote absentee in an election if you cannot make it to the polls on election day for one of the following reasons:
- you are 60 years old or older
- you are unable to vote without assistance at the polls
- you are expecting to be out of town on election day
- you are in jail awaiting arraignment or trial
- you are unable to attend the polls due to religious reasons
- you are appointed to work as an election inspector in a precinct outside of your precinct of residence.
To vote absentee a request must be received by 2pm on the Saturday before the election. The ballot must then be returned by 8pm on election day.
Military and overseas voting
For full details, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program here.
- See also: Early voting
Michigan is one of seven states that does not have any form of early voting.
Elections Performance Index
Michigan ranked 10th out of the 50 states and District of Columbia in the Pew Charitable Trusts' Elections Performance Index (EPI), based on the 2010 elections. The EPI examines election administration performance assigning an average percentage score based on 17 indicators of election performance. The indicators were chosen within the framework of determining the convenience and integrity of each of the three administrative phases of an election: registration, voting and counting. Michigan received an overall score of 70%.
- ↑ San Francisco Chronicle, "Special election needed to fill state senate seat," November 9, 2012
- ↑ WKZO, "Special Michigan Senate election scheduled," January 10, 2013
- ↑ MLive, "Seven candidates run for Flint-area state Senate seat vacated by John Gleason," January 18, 2013
- ↑ MINBCnews.com, "Rep. Jim Ananich moves forward to special election for state senate," March 12, 2013
- ↑ gp.org, "Greens Nominate Bobby Jones for 27th District State Senator," March 18, 2013
- ↑ mlive.com, "State Rep. Jim Ananich's 27th District Senate win means two more special elections for Genesee County," May 7, 2013
- ↑ Pew Charitable Trusts, Election Performance Index Report