Michigan elections, 2013
Michigan election information for 2013 is listed below.
|On the 2013 ballot|
Exceptions include special elections.
|Click here for all|
November 5, 2013
There are several special elections scheduled in 2013 for the state of Michigan.
Elections by type
State Senate District 27
John Gleason (D) was elected as Genesee County Clerk on November 6, 2012, and resigned from his seat in the Michigan State Senate in December. Gov. Rick Snyder (R) called for a special election to take place on May 7, 2013, which Jim Ananich won. A primary took place March 12, 2013, with Jim Ananich (D) and Robert J. Daunt (R) advancing to the May 7 general election. On March 18, the Green Party nominated Bobby Jones to run in the general election.
- Related: See election results here.
State House District 49
Rep. Jim Ananich (D) was elected to the Michigan State Senate on May 7, 2013. A special election has been called concurrent with the regularly-scheduled November 5 elections, with a primary on August 6. Phil Phelps, Don Pfeiffer and Libertarian candidate, Pat Clawson, faced off in the November 5 general election and Phelps won. Candidates had until June 4 to file certified nomination papers.
- Related: See election information here.
Voting in Michigan
- See also: Voting in Michigan
Important voting information
- Michigan uses an open primary system, meaning voters are not required to declare a party preference when registering to vote.
- Voters must register at least 28 days prior to an election.
- As of February 2015, Michigan is one of 30 states that have not implemented full online voter registration. Michigan has a bill pending in the 2013 legislative session which would authorize online voter registration. SB 28 was introduced to the Michigan Senate on January 16, 2013.
- See also: Absentee voting by state
For information about eligibility, deadlines, military and overseas voting and updates to the voting laws in Michigan, please visit our absentee voting by state page.
- See also: Early voting
Michigan is one of 14 states that do not permit early voting.
Elections Performance Index
Michigan ranked 10th out of the 50 states and District of Columbia in the Pew Charitable Trusts' Elections Performance Index (EPI), based on the 2012 elections. The EPI examines election administration performance and assigns an average percentage score based on 17 indicators of election performance. These indicators were chosen in order to determine both the convenience and integrity of these three phases of an election: registration, voting and counting. Michigan received an overall score of 70 percent.
- San Francisco Chronicle, "Special election needed to fill state senate seat," November 9, 2012
- WKZO, "Special Michigan Senate election scheduled," January 10, 2013
- MLive, "Seven candidates run for Flint-area state Senate seat vacated by John Gleason," January 18, 2013
- MINBCnews.com, "Rep. Jim Ananich moves forward to special election for state senate," March 12, 2013
- gp.org, "Greens Nominate Bobby Jones for 27th District State Senator," March 18, 2013
- mlive.com, "State Rep. Jim Ananich's 27th District Senate win means two more special elections for Genesee County," May 7, 2013
- freep.com, "Snyder calls special election for state House seat," May 15, 2013
- mlive.com, "Six Democrats, two Republicans face off in 49th District state House primary election," June 4, 2013
- mlive.com, "Phil Phelps wins Democratic primary for 49th District state House seat," August 6, 2013
- mlive.com, "Don Pfeiffer wins Republican primary for 49th District state House seat," August 6, 2013
- Open States, SB 28
- Michigan Department of State Website, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed December 19, 2013
- Pew Charitable Trusts, "Election Performance Index Report," accessed April 23, 2014
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |