|Massachusetts State Senate, Third Middlesex District|
|January 5, 2013 - present|
|January 7, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Massachusetts State Senate|
|1987 - 1994|
|J.D.||Northeastern University School of Law|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Barrett served on the following committees:
|Massachusetts Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Children, Families and Persons with Disabilities Joint, Chair|
|• Health Care Financing Joint|
|• Labor and Workforce Development Joint, Vice-chair|
|• Public Service Joint|
|• State Administration and Regulatory Oversight Joint|
|• Veterans and Federal Affairs Joint|
Elections for the office of Massachusetts State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election was held on September 9, 2014, and a general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 3, 2014. Incumbent Mike Barrett was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Sandi Martinez was unopposed in the Republican primary.
Barrett won election in the 2012 election for Massachusetts State Senate Third Middlesex District. He defeated Alexander Buck, Mara Dolan, Joe Kearns Goodwin, and Joseph Mullin in the Democratic primary on September 6 and defeated Sandra Martinez (R) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Massachusetts State Senate, Third Middlesex District, General Election, 2012|
|Massachusetts State Senate, Third Middlesex District Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Joe Kearns Goodwin||32.8%||4,819|
In 2012, Barrett received $207,614 in campaign donations. The largest donors are listed below.
|Massachusetts House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Mike Barrett's campaign in 2012|
|Barrett, Michael J||$80,310|
|Barrett, John H||$1,000|
|Barrett, M Kathryn||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$$207,614|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Massachusetts Fiscal Alliance: 2013-2014 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on bills of interest to an organization advocating economically conservative policy.
- Massachusetts League of Environmental Voters: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on environmental issues.
Barrett and his wife have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mike + Barrett + Massachusetts + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Massachusetts State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Joint Committees
- Massachusetts state legislative districts
- Massachusetts State Legislature
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Mike Barrett on Twitter
- Barrettforstatesenate.org, "About Mike," accessed August 14, 2012
- Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth, "2014 State Primary Candidates," accessed September 9, 2014
- 2012 State Primary Candidate List, "Massachusetts Secretary of State," accessed June 26, 2012
- 2012 Massachusetts Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- AP "Massachusetts - Summary Vote Results," accessed September 7, 2012
- Follow the Money, "Massachusetts 2012 - Candidates," accessed June 18, 2014
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed June 2, 2014
Susan Fargo (D)
|Massachusetts State Senate Third Middlesex
| Succeeded by|