Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Former candidate for|
|Maryland House of Delegates, District 23B|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
Elections for the office of Maryland House of Delegates took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 24, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 25, 2014. Incumbents Joseph F. Vallario, Jr. and Marvin E. Holmes, Jr. defeated Reginald Tyer, Jr., Ron Watson and Thea Wilson in the Democratic primary, while Mike Hethmon was unopposed in the Republican primary. Vallario and Holmes defeated Hethmon in the general election for two seats. Robin Breedon (I) was excluded from the ballot for not meeting petition requirements.
Hethmon had no primary challenger. In the general election, he and fellow Republican Antoinette Jarboe-Duley faced the top two finishers of the Democratic primary for two seats - incumbents James Proctor, Jr. and Joseph Vallario, Jr..
In September 2014, Hethmon was charged multiple times in connection with the alleged molestation of an eight-year-old girl on his farm in Upper Marlboro on August 20, 2014. The girl's mother, a nurse practitioner employed as a caretaker for Hethmon's elderly father, was quoted in court documents as saying Hethmon offered to remove hay from her, then touched her daughter sexually and attempted to have her touch him in return. According to WRC-TV, the mother, who was not identified, had previously been found guilty of faking an abduction to avoid standing trial on charges of fraud and forgery connected to another caretaking arrangement. Hethmon, who was released on bail, was charged with assault in the second degree, sexual offense in the third degree and sexual contact in the fourth degree. The charges were later dropped after a grand jury found insufficient evidence to indict him.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mike + Hethmon + Maryland + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Maryland Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 3, 2014
- Maryland State Board of Elections, "Official 2014 Gubernatorial Primary Election results for House of Delegates," accessed December 5, 2014
- Maryland State Board of Elections, "2014 Official General Election Results," accessed April 30, 2015
- Maryland Secretary of State, "Official general election results," accessed March 4, 2014
- WUSA, "House of delegates candidate charged with child sex abuse," September 4, 2014
- WRC-TV, "Michael Hethmon, Candidate for Md. House of Delegates, Facing Child Sex Abuse Charges," September 13, 2014
- The Washington Post, "Local digest: Prince George’s statehouse candidate faces child sex assault charges," September 13, 2014
- NBC Washington, "Michael Hethmon, Candidate for Md. House of Delegates, Facing Child Sex Abuse Charges," October 8, 2014
State of Maryland
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor, Licensing and Regulation | Chairman of Public Service Commission |