is a Republican
member of the Michigan State Senate
, representing District 15
. He was first elected to the chamber in 2010.
Kowall served in the Michigan House of Representatives, representing District 44 from 1998 to 2002.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Kowall served on the following committees:
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Kowall served on the following committees:
- See also: Endorsements by state officials of presidential candidates in the 2012 election
Mike Kowall endorsed Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential election.
- See also: Michigan State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Michigan State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 5, 2014, and a general election took place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 22, 2014. Michael D. Smith defeated Tom Crawford in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Mike Kowall defeated Matt Maddock and Ron Molnar in the Republican primary. Kowall defeated Smith in the general election.
|Michigan State Senate, District 15 General Election, 2014
||Mike Kowall Incumbent
|| Michael Smith
|Michigan State Senate, District 15 Democratic Primary, 2014
Michael D. Smith
| Tom Crawford
|Michigan State Senate, District 15 Republican Primary, 2014
Mike Kowall Incumbent
| Matt Maddock
| Ron Molnar
- See also: Michigan's 11th Congressional District elections, 2012
Kowall announced in July 2011 that he would run for election to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2012. The 11th District, where Kowall planned to run, was represented at the time by Thaddeus McCotter (R), who at the time was running for President of the United States. Kowall said the newly drawn redistricting map would bolster his campaign because his entire Senate district was contained within the 11th Congressional District. On January 18, 2012, following McCotter's decision to end his campaign and run for re-election instead, Kowall suspended his campaign.
- See also: Michigan State Senate elections, 2010
Kowall won election to the 15th District of the Michigan State Senate in 2010. He defeated Democrat Pam Jackson in the November 2 general election.
| Michigan State Senate, District 15 General election (2010)
| Mike Kowall (R)
| Pam Jackson (D)
Comprehensive donor information for Kowall is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Kowall raised a total of $229,417 during that time period. This information was last updated on May 30, 2013.
|Mike Kowall's Campaign Contribution History|
||Michigan State Senate, District 15
||Michigan State Senate, District 15
|Grand Total Raised
Kowall was not up for election to the Michigan State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Kowall raised a total of $79,344
|Michigan State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Mike Kowall's campaign in 2012|
|Blue Cross Blue Shield Of Michigan||$3,000|
|Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers Association||$2,584|
|Total Raised in 2012||$79,344|
|Source:Follow the Money
Kowall won election to the Michigan State Senate in 2010. During that election cycle, Kowall raised a total of $150,073
|Michigan State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Mike Kowall's campaign in 2010|
|Michigan Chamber Of Commerce||$5,200|
|Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers Association||$4,598|
|Michigan Automobile Dealers Association||$3,500|
|Michigan Bankers Association||$3,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$150,073|
Tea Party Scorecard
The Independent Tea Party Patriots, a Michigan Tea Party group, grades the votes of this and every other Michigan legislator on “core tea party issues” in a regularly-updated scorecard. 100% is considered an ideal rating.
January 2011 - March 2012
Mike Kowall received a 64% rating on the January 2011 - March 2012 Tea Party Scorecard.
In 2014, Kowall's endorsements included the following:
- Right to Life of Michigan
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Mike + Kowall + Michigan + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Mike Kowall News Feed
- ↑ Romney for President, "Mitt Romney Announces Support of Michigan Speaker of The House Jase Bolger and Additional Members of The Michigan Legislature," September 19, 2011 (Archived)
- ↑ Michigan Secretary of State, "State Senator," accessed August 6, 2014
- ↑ Michigan Secretary of State, "State Senator," accessed December 5, 2014
- ↑ Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," accessed May 27, 2014
- ↑ Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan General Candidate Listing," accessed September 8, 2014
- ↑ Observer & Eccentric, "State senator plans to run for McCotter's seat," July 14, 2011
- ↑ Detroit Free Press, "State Sen. Mike Kowall to suspend campaign for Congress," January 18, 2012 (Archived)
- ↑ Michigan Secretary of State, "Election Results - General Election - November 02, 2010," March 2, 2011
- ↑ Follow the Money, "Kowall, Mike," accessed May 30, 2013
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Michigan Votes, "Tea Party Scorecard Jan 2011-Mar 2012," accessed June 22, 2012
- ↑ Right to Life of Michigan, "Elections," accessed June 18, 2014