For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Former candidate for|
|Governor of Nevada|
|Bachelor's||Arizona State University|
Montandon is a graduate of Arizona State University. He also completed the Harvard University Program for Senior Executives at the John F. Kennedy School of Government.
Incumbent Governor Jim Gibbons, a Republican, was originally reported as not running for a second term, due to his low popularity (21% approval and 74% disapproval, as of June 2008) and scandals. Montandon, current Governor Jim Gibbons, and former federal judge Brian Sandoval all ran. Montandon announced his candidacy in the summer of 2009.
|Governor of Nevada, 2010|
|Jim Gibbons Incumbent||27.2%||47,616|
|Stanleigh Harold Lusak||0.8%||1,380|
|Michael L. Montandon||12.6%||22,003|
Montandon is running on conservative credentials in the primary, on a platform including the following points:
- A "guarantee that 65% of every education dollar goes into our classrooms."
- Supporting "pro-life" values.
- Verification that "every person has the right to a secret ballot in any election that our government oversees."
- Opening Yucca Mountain because "it will bring new, high paying jobs to Nevada."
- Support of "a low tax environment [that] will bring businesses into the state and provide better jobs for all Nevadans."
Montandon supports the following:
- Second amendment rights: "Our ignorance is assumed, even counted on, in the war against our freedoms. Even a cursory examination of the history of the first ten amendments to our Constitution, the Bill of Rights, would give us an indisputable argument against the forces that assail our liberties."
- The use of a minimum of 65 percent of primary-school education spending in the classroom: "It is clear to me that the first step is to establish a benchmark of ensuring that sixty five cents out of every dollar that Nevada spends on elementary education goes directly into the classroom. This will immediately establish the primacy of educating over bureaucracy."
- Economic growth through stable government policy: "Every politician talks about bringing high paying jobs to Nevada. These jobs don't come to Nevada unless Nevada sets its economic table properly."
On his opponents
Montandon called opponent Brian Sandoval a quitter as Sandoval jumped into the race in September 2009:
"Brian Sandoval quit mid-term in the Nevada Assembly. Brian Sandoval quit in the middle of his term as attorney general, virtually handing the office to a liberal Democrat in the next election. And now, Brian Sandoval says he will quit his job as a federal judge and give (President) Barack Obama the opportunity to appoint another liberal judge to the federal bench. Since when is quitting a qualification for governor?"
The Internet Archive's Wayback Machine was used to recall this version of the website from May 17, 2010.
- Las Vegas mayor, councilwoman bid farewell Las Vegas Sun
- Gentry, Dana (2008-06-04). "Consultants: No second term for Gibbons". Las Vegas Sun. http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/final-take/2008/jun/04/no-second-term-gibbons/. Retrieved on 2008-01-01.
- Damon, Anjeanette (2009-09-15). "Sandoval: I am running for governor". Reno Gazette-Journal. http://www.rgj.com/section/blogs01?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog:47c0e9e3-2bcd-439f-8b7a-bfc5884a1123Post:ef653dd9-c649-45b7-9be5-27fce0ac4654&plckCommentSortOrder=TimeStampAscending&sid=sitelife.rgj.com. Retrieved on 2009-09-16.
- "GOVERNING NEVADA: Disregard divorce, poll says". http://www.lvrj.com/news/19883914.html.
- "Gibbons faced GOP challengers in 2010", KVBC (2009-03-17). Retrieved on 2009-11-11.
- Mike Montandon for Governor: Education (dead link)
- Nevada News and Views
- Mike Montandon for Governor
- Mike Montandon for Governor: Yucca Mountain
- Nevada News and Views
- Mike Montandon for Governor: Second Amendment
- Mike Montandon for Governor: Education
- Mike Montandon for Governor: Economy
- Campaign Diaries "In Nevada, Brian Sandoval is formidable candidate with some obvious weaknesses"