Missouri Commissioner of Education
|Missouri Commissioner of Education|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|Length of term:||Serves at the pleasure of the State Board of Education|
|Authority:||Missouri Constitution, Article IX, Section 2(b), Education|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the Missouri State Board of Education|
|Assumed office:||July 2009|
|Other Missouri Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Natural Resources Director • Labor Director • Public Service Commission|
The commissioner oversees the Department of Secondary and Elementary Education and serves as the liaison between the department and district officials.
The current officeholder is Chris Nicastro. She has served in this position since 2009.
Under Article IX, Section 2(b):
The board shall select and appoint a commissioner of education as its chief administrative officer, who shall be a citizen and resident of the state, and removable at its discretion...
The commissioner of education is selected and appointed by the state Board of Education.
The duties of the Board of Education include:
- Appointing the Commissioner of Education and setting policies for the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
- Defining academic performance standards and assessment requirements for public schools.
- Accrediting local school districts. The Board accredits school districts through the “Missouri School Improvement Program,” which includes minimum standards for high school graduation, curriculum, student testing, support services and other areas of school operations.
- Establishing requirements for the education, testing, assessment, certification and recertification of all public school teachers and administrators.
- Operating the Missouri School for the Blind (St. Louis), the Missouri School for the Deaf (Fulton), and the statewide system of Missouri Schools for the Severely Disabled
- Overseeing federal education programs and the distribution of federal funds to school districts.
- Establishing regulations for school bus safety and for fiscal management in local school districts.
- Submitting annual budget recommendations for education to the Missouri Legislature.
- Administering the state’s Vocational Rehabilitation and Sheltered Workshop program, which provide services for adult Missouri citizens with disabilities.
The state Board of Education fixes the compensation of the commissioner.
Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
PO Box 480
Jefferson City, MO 65102