Montana Definition of Person Amendment (2012)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
The following is information obtained from the supporting side of the amendment:
- According to Dr. Annie Bukacek about the signature gathering effort: "We’re more organized [ than in 2010 ]. We have about 500 churches on board that will collect signatures, so we’re starting out good.”
- According to signature gathering volunteer Cal Pastrow when commenting on the petition drive effort: "We are going to turn in all the signatures a lot earlier, and we're going to do quality control ourselves before we turn them in to make sure we have enough qualified signatures from all the districts necessary. Plus, more and more people are getting on board with 'Personhood USA.' Here in Montana, our email list and mailing list have both increased."
Path to the ballot
- See also: Montana signature requirements
To gain ballot access for the November 2012 ballot, supporters needed to collect 48,673 valid signatures from registered voters. In addition, those signatures needed to be submitted by the June 22, 2012, petition drive deadline. The petition was approved for signature gathering on August 4, 2011.
Supporters did submit signed petitions on the June 22 deadline, however, the total was insufficient to have qualified for the ballot.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Montana Secretary of State, "Proposed 2012 Ballot Issues", Retrieved January 11, 2012
- ↑ Daily Interlake, "Pro-life group gathers signatures for amendment", October 26, 2011
- ↑ The Republic, "Mont 'personhood' initiative backers not discouraged by Mississippi vote defeating plan", November 9, 2011
- ↑ KBZK.com, "'Personhood' fight still alive in MT despite Miss. defeat", November 10, 2011