Montana Term Limits, Amendment CI-64 (1992)
|Not on ballot|
|Secretaries of State|
The amendment sought term limitations for elected officials.
Official results via: The Montana Secretary of State
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
- An amendment to the Constitution proposed by initiative petition.
- This initiative would amend the Montana Constitution to prohibit certain public officials from seeking re-election if they have already held office for the following number of years: 8 years in any 16-year period for governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, state auditor, attorney general, superintendent of public instruction, state representative, or state senator; 6 years in any 12-year period for United States Representative; and 12 years in any 24-year period for United States Senator. An official still could be re-elected by write-in vote. The measure would apply only to terms of office that begin during or after January 1993.
| Limitation on Terms of Office
(1) The secretary of state or other authorized official shall not certify a candidate's nomination or election to, or print or cause to be printed on any ballot the name of a candidate for, one of the following offices if, at the end of the current term of that office, the candidate will have served in that office or had he not resigned or been recalled would have served in that office:
(a) 8 or more years in any 16-year period as governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, state auditor, attorney general, or superintendent of public instruction;
(b) 8 or more years in any 16-year period as a state representative;
(c) 8 or more years in any 16-year period as a state senator;
(d) 6 or more years in any 12-year period as a member of the U.S. house of representatives; and
(e) 12 or more years in any 24-year period as a member of the U.S. senate.
(2) When computing time served for purposes of subsection (1), the provisions of subsection (1) do not apply to time served in terms that end during or prior to January 1993.
(3) Nothing contained herein shall preclude an otherwise qualified candidate from being certified as nominated or elected by virtue of write-in votes cast for said candidate.
- Amendments to the 1972 Montana Constitution - The Montana Secretary of State
- Montana 1992 General Election Results - The Montana Secretary of State
- Montana 1992 General Election Voter Information Pamphlet