Montana elections, 2013
Montana election information for 2013 is listed below.
|On the 2013 ballot|
Exceptions include special elections.
Find current election news and links here.
Voting in Montana
- See also: Voting in Montana
Important voting information
- Montana has a mixed primary system. Republicans have a closed caucus, while Democrats have an open primary.
- The deadline for regular registration is 28 days before the election. If you miss that deadline, you can still register and vote in the election by late registering at your county election office. Late registration is available up until close of polls on election day. You can register to vote in the following ways:
- As of September 2014, Montana is one of the 35 states that have not implemented online voter registration. Montana had a bill pending in the 2013 legislative session which would have authorized online voter registration. It failed to pass the Montana Senate.
- See also: Absentee voting by state
For information about eligibility, deadlines, military and overseas voting and updates to the voting laws in Montana, please visit our absentee voting by state page.
- See also: Early voting
Montana is one of 34 states that has early voting with no specific requirements as to who can vote early. Early voting begins as soon as ballots are made available and ends on the day prior to election day.
Elections Performance Index
Montana ranked 10th out of the 50 states and District of Columbia in the Pew Charitable Trusts' Elections Performance Index (EPI), based on the 2012 elections. The EPI examines election administration performance and assigns an average percentage score based on 17 indicators of election performance. These indicators were chosen to in order to determine both the convenience and integrity of these three phases of an election: registration, voting and counting. Montana received an overall score of 70%.
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Open States, SB 206
- Montana Secretary of State "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed December 16, 2013
- Pew Charitable Trusts, "Election Performance Index Report," accessed April 23, 2014
State of Montana
List of Montana ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Director of the Department of Revenue | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Securities and Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources and Conservation | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Public Service Commission |