Mountain Gate Community Services District board recall, Shasta County, California (2010)
Lee Sherman was a leader in the recall effort. Reasons he gave for supporting the recall are:
- The district continues to retain an interim manager, Jeff Cole, who has "no licenses, no education past high school and huge gaps in his employment history" while 96 "more qualified individuals applied" for the job.
- The district has spent approximately $272,956 in reserves over an 11-month period since June 2009. The reserves fell to $690,000 from $965,000 from April 2009 to March 2010. Reserves were spent on "the cost to repair an illegal road, numerous mistakes, and improper use of the district credit card."
- The district spent "$1,500 of district funds for T-shirts, $100 for pizza parties and buying meals at a casino."
- "Wanton corruption is currently going on."
The Mountain Gate Community Services District board fired previous District Manager Ken Mariette in July 2009.
Park was retained in office by a 13 vote margin, while Peterson was retained in office by 11 votes.
- First Amendment Coalition, "Redding: Interim manager vote questioned as open meeting violation," December 17, 2010
- Record Searchlight, "Recall effort narrowly wins in Mountain Gate," November 10, 2010
- Redding Record-Searchlight, "Lee Sherman: It's time to clean up Mountain Gate," May 30, 2010
- Redding Record-Searchlight, "Mountain Gate Community Services District manager fired," July 17, 2009