For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Multnomah County Library Levy Renewal (May 2012)
This measure was approved
- YES 122,598 (84.47%)
- NO 22,548 (15.53%)
This measure sought to renew the current library levy which is set at a rate of $.89 per $1,000 of assessed property value for a further three years. This measure was placed on the ballot as a compromise between the county and the library board which has been seeking a permanent levy for the library district. Since this measure was approved, a measure will be placed on the November ballot to create a taxing district which would dedicate money for just library use. County officials feared that placing the more expensive measure on the May ballot would lead to defeat, so officials hoped this renewal gets approved then at least the library would still have funding for three more years. Even though this measure was approved, library officials noted that the library budget would still need to be cut by 10 percent.
If approved, the money collected from the levy would account for up to 70 percent of the total library budget for the year. Officials have been stressing the point that the levy would not increase just be renewed and are hoping residents would support the libraries.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|Shall county maintain open libraries, programs, services; renew levy of $0.89 per $1,000 assessed value for three years beginning 2012? This measure renews current local option taxes.|
- The Library Journal, "Multnomah County to Put Two Major Library Measures on Ballot in Short Time Span," January 6, 2012
- The Portland Tribune, "County agrees to send new library levy to voters," January 5, 2012
- Oregon Public Broadcasting News, "Multnomah Leaders Put Forward Temporary Library Funding Measure," January 3, 2012
- Portland Business Journal, "Multnomah Co. changes course on library tax district," January 3, 2012
- Multnomah County Elections, May Election Results
- The Portland Tribune, "County deal puts library levy, district to a vote," January 3, 2012
- The Oregonian, "Multnomah County measure would keep the tax the same and keep libraries open," May 3, 2012
- Multnomah County Elections, May Sample Ballot
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.