Nebraska Amendment 2, Merger of Counties and Municipalities (1996)
The Nebraska Merger of Counties and Municipalities Amendment, also known as Amendment 2, was a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment on the November 5, 1996 election ballot in Nebraska, where it was defeated.
|Amendment 2 (Merger of Counties and Municipalities)|
Official results via: Nebraska Blue Book 2008-09 (p.261)
Text of measure
- A vote "FOR" this proposal: (a) will provide for the merger or consolidation of counties or other local governments such as municipalities with the approval of a majority of the people in each county or municipality to be merged or consolidated; (b) will allow such merger or consolidation to be initiated by petition; (c) will allow the Legislature to provide for differences in tax rates within and outside municipalities and on different classes of property so long as the differences in tax rates and classifications are reasonable and are required by an agreement between local governments, governing such mergers or consolidations; (d) would change the allocation of proceeds from the motor vehicle tax; (e) would exempt from taxation property of the state and its governmental subdivisions to the extent that it is used for a public purpose, and to the extent such property is not used for a public purpose, will allow the Legislature to classify it, exempt it, tax it, or provide for payments in lieu of property taxes; and (f) repeal provisions in the constitution relating to towns and township organizations.
- A vote "AGAINST" this proposal will deny the Legislature the power to provide for the merger or consolidation of counties and municipalities or other local governments under the procedures and conditions outlined above, or to provide for the undertaking of other activities set forth above relating to tax rates, the allocation of motor vehicle taxes, the exemption or not of public property, and the repeal of those provisions relating to towns or townships.
- A constitutional amendment to authorize legislation relating to mergers and consolidations by local governments, to authorize the Legislature to provide for differences in tax rates within and outside municipalities, to change a restriction on allocation of proceeds from motor vehicle taxes, to provide that property of the state and its governmental subdivisions is exempt from taxation to the extent such property is used for public purposes and to authorize classification and taxation of such property, and to repeal and eliminate provisions dealing with township organization and towns.
- List of Nebraska ballot measures
- Nebraska 1996 ballot measures
- 1996 ballot measures
- Nebraska Local Government Consolidation, Amendment 2B (1998)
State of Nebraska
List of Nebraska ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Nebraska Public Service Commission |