For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Nebraska Director of Economic Development
|Nebraska Director of Economic Development|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012-13 FY Budget:||$497,939|
|Length of term:||Serves at the governor's pleasure|
|Authority:||Nebraska Revised Statutes, § 81-1201.03|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Other Nebraska Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Natural Resources Director • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The Director oversees the Department of Labor, which is responsible for regulation of the labor industry and assisting workers to find employment.
The Department and Director of the Economic Development are established in Chapter 81 of the Nebraska Revised Statutes.
Nebraska Revised Statutes 81-1201:
|There is hereby created an executive department of state government to be known as the Department of Economic Development...The chief executive officer of the department shall be the Director of Economic Development who shall by appointed by the Governor with the consent of a majority of the Legislature. The director shall administer the affairs of the department and shall serve at the pleasure of the governor. The director shall have equal rank with the heads of other state departments...|
There are no specific statutory requirements for an individual to meet in order to qualify for the office of Director of Economic Development.
The Department, headed by the Director of Labor, is to "maintain and develop the economic of the state to provide opportunities for the people which will enhance and expand the quality of their lives."
Under § 81-1201.10 of the Nebraska Revised Statutes, the department shall promote the:
(1) Expansion of personal income through the development of business and employment opportunities which afford sufficient compensation to ensure adequate standard of living for the people of the state;
(2) Development of an economy that contributes to and enhances the environmental quality of the state;
(3) Development of stable economy within the state;
(4) Development of economic health and opportunities throughout the communities and counties of the state;
(5) Development of an economy which is capable of providing the necessary revenue for state government, local governments, and other political subdivisions o the state and in this way minimize the tax burden faced by all taxpayers of the state, and;
(6) Structuring of the department and its staff as a nonpolitical, professionally managed division of state government.
The Department contains four operating divisions:
1. Business Development Division
2. Community and Rural Development Division
3. Travel and Tourism Division
4. Division of Administration and Operations
- See also: Nebraska state budget and finances
The budget for the Department of Economic Development in Fiscal Year 2012-13 was $497,939.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
In 2013, the director was paid an estimated $131,325.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Nebraska Director of Economic Development has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Nebraska + Director + of + Economic + Development
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Nebraska Department of Labor
550 South 16th Street
Lincoln, NE 68508
Phone: (402) 471 - 9000
- Nebraska Department of Labor
- Nebraska Department of Labor on Facebook
- Nebraska Department of Labor on Twitter
- Nebraska Department of Economic Development, "News: Gov. Heineman Appoints Kruse and Albin for Directors of DED and DOL," June 2014
- KTIC radio, "Nebraska Labor Commissioner Lang Resigns," accessed August 25, 2014
- Nebraska Department of Economic Development, "Nebraska state statutes (Chapter 81) defining department," accessed May 23, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Nevada Legislative Counsel Bureau, "2011-2013 General Fund Appropriations Summary," accessed April 17, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed December 3, 2014
- Council of State Governments, Table 4.11 Selected State Administrative Officials: Annual Salaries," accessed January 31, 2014