Nebraska Director of Insurance
|Nebraska Director of Insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|Authority:||Nebraska Revised Statutes 44-101.01|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||November 15, 2010|
|Other Nebraska Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Natural Resources Director • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The Director oversees the Department of Insurance, which is responsible for regulating and examining all insurance companies and designated related operations in the state.
The current officeholder is Bruce Ramge. He has served in this position since 2010.
The Department of Insurance is established in the Nebraska Revised Statutes.
Nebraska Revised Statutes 44-101.01:
|The Department of Insurance shall have general supervision, control, and regulation of insurance companies, associations, and societies and the business of insurance in Nebraska, including companies in process of organization. The Director of Insurance shall be the chief administrative officer of the department.|
The main duties of the director of insurance are outlined in Chapter 44 of the revised state statutes:
- Enforce and execute all the insurance laws of the state
- Adopt and promulgate all needful rules and regulations for the purpose of carrying out the true spirit and meaning of Chapter 44 and all laws relating to the business of insurance
- See that all laws respecting insurance companies and insurance agents are faithfully executed.
- Issue all certificates and licenses as provided for in Chapter 44.
The Department of Insurance consists of the following divisions:
- Administrative Services
- Consumer Affairs
- Financial Regulation
- Fraud Prevention
- Human Resources
- Life and Health
- Market Conduct
- Producer Licensing
- Property and Casualty
- Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP)
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Nebraska Department of Insurance
PO Box 82089
Lincoln, NE 68501-2089
Switchboard: (402) 471-2201
Producer Licensing: (402) 471-4913
Toll Free Hotline: (877) 564-7323 (Consumers Only)
In Lincoln: 471-0888
TDD: (800) 833-7352