Nevada Commissioner of Labor
|Nevada Commissioner of Labor|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|Length of term:||Serves a term coterminous with the governor|
|Authority:||Chapter 607 of the Nevada Revised Statutes|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Director of the Department of Business and Industry|
|Assumed office:||November 7, 2011|
|Other Nevada Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Controller • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Commissioner • Director of Conservation and Natural Resources • Labor Commissioner • Public Utilities Commission • Employment, Training and Rehabilitation|
The mission of the Office of the Nevada Labor Commissioner is "to enforce the labor laws of the State of Nevada in a manner that protects the rights of working families in a fair, professional and timely manner."
The current officeholder is Thoran Towler. He has served in the position since 2011.
NRS 607.010 :
|'The Office of Labor Commissioner is hereby created...The Labor Commissioner must be appointed by the Director of the Department of Business and Industry.|
There are no specific qualifications for this office.
Per 607.020 of the Nevada Revised Statutes, the Director of the Department of Business and Industry appoints the Commissioner of Labor. The commissioner serves at the pleasure of the governor. His or her term expires at the end of the governor's term or if the governor vacates office.
The cabor commissioner enforces certain Nevada Revised Statutes relating to persons required to earn their living in the private sector by their own endeavors and investigates complaints of non-payment of wages, state minimum wage, overtime, and prevailing wage disputes.
The office also monitors youth employment standards, including work hours and safe, non-hazardous working conditions.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Carson City Office
675 Fairview Drive Suite 226
Carson City, Nevada 89701
Las Vegas Office:
555 E. Washington Avenue Suite 4100
Las Vegas, NV 89101
- ↑ Nevada Office of the Labor Commissioner, "Homepage," accesssed October 16, 2011
- ↑ Nevada Labor Commissioner "Laws and Regulations" Accessed February 1, 2013
- ↑ Nevada Revised Statutes, "NRS 607.020 Appointment of Labor Commissioner," accessed October 16, 2011
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Nevada Labor Commissioner "About" Accessed February 1, 2013
- ↑ Nevada Labor Commissioner "FAQ" Accessed February 1, 2013
- ↑ The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved October 16, 2011