Nevada Public Office and Issues Secret Ballot Amendment (2014)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
Elections and Campaigns
|Not on ballot|
Initially the measure was proposed for the November 2, 2010 ballot as an initiated constitutional amendment but five days prior to the June petition drive deadline, supporters announced they did not have sufficient signatures. Proponents said they planned to refile the measure as an indirect initiated state statute. If a valid petition had been submitted and legislature had not approved the proposed measure, then it would have appeared on the 2012 ballot.
The measure was sponsored by Save Our Secret Ballot.
According to the filed petition, the text read:
The People of the State of Nevada do enact as follows:
Article 2 Section 5 of the Constitution of Nevada is amended to read:
Voting by secret ballot; voting in elections by legislature.
1. The right of individuals to vote by secret ballot is fundamental. Where local, state, or federal law permits or requires elections for public office and ballot measures, the right of individuals to vote by secret shall be guaranteed.
2. All elections by the Legislature, or by either branch thereof shall be "Viva-Voce."
Path to the ballot
- See also: Nevada signature requirements
Originally the measure was proposed for the 2010 ballot but as of June 10, 2010 supporters announced they did not have sufficient signatures and instead would re-file the measure as an indirect initiated state statute. In order to qualify for the November 2010 ballot as an initiated constitutional amendment, supporters were required to collect a minimum of 97,002 valid signatures by June 15, 2010. County clerks were then required to verify and submit the signatures to the secretary of state by no later than August 4, 2010.
As an indirect initiated state statute supporters would have needed to collect 97,002 valid signatures to send it to the legislature. If the legislature failed to act on the measure it would have been placed on the 2012 ballot.
- Nevada News Bureau,"Initiative Petition Deadline Looms, Groups Have Until June 15 To Qualify Measures For November Ballot," June 4, 2010
- Las Vegas Review-Journal,"Group plans petitions on secret ballots, paycheck deductions," February 24, 2010
- Las Vegas Review-Journal,"Anti-labor group takes new approach on secret vote petitions," June 10, 2010
- Nevada Secretary of State,"Secret ballot for public office and issues petition," accessed February 25, 2010
- Nevada Secretary of State,"Important 2010 Initiative Dates," accessed June 1, 2010
State of Nevada
Carson City (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | State Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Conservation and Natural Resources | Director of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation | Chairman of Public Utilities Commission |
|state ballot measure article is a stub. You can help people learn by expanding it.|