Nevada Public Office and Issues Secret Ballot Amendment (2014)
Initially the measure was proposed for the November 2, 2010 ballot as an initiated constitutional amendment but five days prior to the June petition drive deadline, supporters announced they did not have sufficient signatures. Proponents said they planned to refile the measure as an indirect initiated state statute. If the legislature does not approve the proposed measure then it will appear on the 2012 ballot.
The measure is sponsored by Save Our Secret Ballot.
According to the filed petition, the text reads:
The People of the State of Nevada do enact as follows:
Article 2 Section 5 of the Constitution of Nevada is amended to read:
Voting by secret ballot; voting in elections by legislature.
1. The right of individuals to vote by secret ballot is fundamental. Where local, state, or federal law permits or requires elections for public office and ballot measures, the right of individuals to vote by secret shall be guaranteed.
2. All elections by the Legislature, or by either branch thereof shall be "Viva-Voce".
Path to the ballot
- See also: Nevada signature requirements
Originally the measure was proposed for the 2010 ballot but as of June 10, 2010 supporters announced they did not have sufficient signatures and instead would re-file the measure as an indirect initiated state statute. In order to qualify for the November 2010 ballot as an initiated constitutional amendment supporters were required to collect a minimum of 97,002 valid signatures by June 15, 2010. County clerks must then verify and submit the signatures to the secretary of state by no later than August 4, 2010.
As an indirect initiated state statute supporters will need to collect 97,002 valid signatures to send it to the legislature. If the legislature fails to act on the measure it will be placed on the 2012 ballot.
- Nevada News Bureau,"Initiative Petition Deadline Looms, Groups Have Until June 15 To Qualify Measures For November Ballot," June 4, 2010
- ↑ Las Vegas Review-Journal,"Group plans petitions on secret ballots, paycheck deductions," February 24, 2010
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Las Vegas Review-Journal,"Anti-labor group takes new approach on secret vote petitions," June 10, 2010
- ↑ Nevada Secretary of State,"Secret ballot for public office and issues petition," retrieved February 25, 2010
- ↑ Nevada Secretary of State,"Important 2010 Initiative Dates," retrieved June 1, 2010