Nevada Secret Ballot Amendment (2012)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
|Voting on Labor and Unions|
|Not on ballot|
Initially the measure was proposed for the November 2, 2010 ballot as an initiated constitutional amendment but five days prior to the June petition drive deadline, supporters announced they did not have sufficient signatures. Proponents said they planned to refile the measure as an indirect initiated state statute. If the petition had been successful and legislature had not approved the proposed measure, then it would have appeared on the 2012 ballot. The initiative was formally filed on July 15, 2010.
Text of measure
According to the filed petition, the text read:
The People of the State of Nevada do enact as follows:
The Constitution of Nevada is amended by adding Section 23 to Article I to read:
Secret ballots in elections for employee representative.
The right of individuals to vote by secret ballot is fundamental and shall be guaranteed where local state, or federal law permits or requires elections, designations, or authorizations for employee representation.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Nevada signature requirements
On July 15, 2010 supporters filed an indirect initiated state statute in an effort to qualify for the 2012 ballot. In order to qualify, supporters needed to collect 97,002 valid signatures by November 9, 2010 to send it to the 2011 legislature.
Originally the measure was proposed for the 2010 ballot but as of June 10, 2010 supporters announced they did not have sufficient signatures and instead would re-file the measure as an indirect initiated state statute. In order to qualify for the November 2010 ballot as an initiated constitutional amendment supporters were required to collect a minimum of 97,002 valid signatures by June 15, 2010. County clerks were then required to verify and submit the signatures to the secretary of state by no later than August 4, 2010.
- Three Nevada initiatives drop 2010 ballot efforts
- Nevada petition drive deadline only a week away
- Secret Ballot initiative filed in Nevada
- Associated Press, "New NV initiative for secret union ballots," July 26, 2010
- Nevada News Bureau, "Initiative Petition Deadline Looms, Groups Have Until June 15 To Qualify Measures For November Ballot," June 4, 2010
- Associated Press, "NV initiative would require secret union ballots," November 18, 2009
- Las Vegas Review-Journal, "Group plans petitions on secret ballots, paycheck deductions," February 24, 2010
- Las Vegas Review-Journal, "Anti-labor group takes new approach on secret vote petitions," June 10, 2010
- Nevada News Bureau, "New Effort Under Way In Nevada To Establish Secret Ballot Requirement In Unionization Votes," July 26, 2010
- Nevada Secretary of State, "Save Our Secret petition," accessed February 25, 2010
- Nevada Secretary of State, "Important 2010 Initiative Dates," accessed June 1, 2010
State of Nevada
Carson City (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | State Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Conservation and Natural Resources | Director of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation | Chairman of Public Utilities Commission |