Nevada State and Local Public Officer Term Limits, Question 9 (1994)
|Not on ballot|
|Secretaries of State|
The Nevada State and Local Public Officer Term Limits Question, also known as Question 9, was an initiated constitutional amendment on the November 8, 1994 election ballot in Nevada, where it was approved.
Question 9 was split into two separate proposals 9A and 9B. 9A, regarding term limits for state and local public officers, was approved, while 9B, regard term limits for judges and justices, was defeated.
|Question 9 (State and Local Public Officer Term Limits)|
Official results via: Nevada Legislative Counsel Bureau - Research Division
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
- Shall the Nevada Constitution be amended to establish term limits for state and local public officers?
The language that appeared in the voter's guide:
- Other than the office of governor, the Nevada Constitution currently places no limits on the number of terms to which state and local officers can be elected. This amendment would limit members of the state Assembly to serving twelve (12) years or six (6) terms in office. Members of the state Senate would be limited to serving twelve (12) years or three (3) terms in office. Justices of the Supreme Court, justices of the peace, and all other judges would be limited to two (2) terms. The Secretary of State, State Treasurer, State Controller, and the Attorney General would be limited to eight (8) years or two (2) terms. Other state officials and local governing body members would be limited to twelve (12) years. Appointment to an office for any amount of time would be equal to one (1) term.
- FISCAL NOTE
- Fiscal Impact-No. The proposal to amend the Nevada Constitution would limit the terms of State and Local Officers. The proposal would have no adverse fiscal impact.
- List of Nevada ballot measures
- Nevada 1994 ballot measures
- 1994 ballot measures
- Nevada State and Local Public Officer Term Limits, Question 9A (1996)
- Nevada Judicial Term Limits, Question 9B (1996)